Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this helps people in the UK to make their own cheap chained rubber bands. You want to go to any office supply centre to buy your rubber bands and i went to STAPLES to buy these. Two sizes #33 & #32 it cost me £6.60 to buy both these bags of rubber bands. Thank you Jeff aka ( shot in the foot ) for pointing me in the right direction. Thanks goes out to Jamie and Nick for posting how to make chained rubber bands band sets. The cost to make a set of chained rubber bands for your slingshot is only 10 to 20 pence each.

Below is a Cougar and another chinese slingshot fitted with chained rubber bands. They are great for target shooting, Hunting plus both will shoot .44 cal and 16mm lead balls.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why did you buy 2 different sizes? which is better?
Cheers
I brought two different sizes because thats what was on the selves in STAPLES. The #33 are longer so you need less to make a band set but you get less in a bag, #32 are shorter but more in a bag about 900. If your hard up for cash or a young child you can still make top notch bands very cheap plus they are available everywhere in every country

·
Resigned
1,142 Posts
Good post Lucifer. I am happy to see some shooters at least giving these a try and also to hear of others having their own experiences with them. While I accept the primacy of Therabands I feel there is a place for these in Slingshot World. Their extremely low cost. ease of procurement, and the great simplicity of creating decent bandsets have endeared them to me.

Seeing dankungs strapped up as such is also interesting. I've enjoyed watching people go their own way and add their own flavour to the chains. You said the cheap 32's shot those lead round balls fairly well? Please let me know something regarding this.

Finally, I must direct all your praise regarding all the chains to Nico; he's El Jefe de las Cadenas. He's the one who set me on my path (after some initial resistance on my part) and his low-cost resorteras have been a huge influence on my slingshot making. I have tried to resurrect the Gypsy Tabs to some degree but he's the Master of the Chains. I'm going to try to find some game when I get off the boat in another few days as the weather is finally cooling off here in the US.

Take care, enjoy your chains, and keep us posted.

·
"Crafter"
1,897 Posts
chains are excellent I only use this rubber. I also get my bands from staples they are cheap and functional. check out my videos to see just how well they shoot... they still suprise me even now 170 fps with 8mm steel for something that costs 10 pence no wonder this is the poor man's shooting sport lol I'm proud anyhow.

·
Philly
2,576 Posts
Where does one find the how to link for making the chains? I would lile to put them on my first natural i just finished.

·
Registered
606 Posts

·
No other shooting sport compares.
6,434 Posts
I actually did this same thing too. At first I was chaining the rubber using the other method (where they are just looped into one another, not sure what that is called) and I was getting no speed. Then I tried chaining the bands like Lucifer did above. Now they actually shoot pretty fast! I am using #33 bands and they are super cheap at staples.

·
Philly
2,576 Posts
Lucifer, thanks for the links, I am off to Staples tomorrow after the Local shoot out with the Long Island NY crew.
Philly

·
Philly
2,576 Posts
One more question, where do you buy the superior red rubber bands? Is there much difference between them and the Staple office bands? I guess thats two questions.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One more question, where do you buy the superior red rubber bands? Is there much difference between them and the Staple office bands? I guess thats two questions.
Really use whatever you can find thats cheap and works for you. Red rubber latex bands would be better but here where i live i can't find them but the rubber bands from STAPLES are cheap plus local and do a fine job.

·
Philly
2,576 Posts
Will do, thanks again.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will give it a try Jeff, yours look great

·
Resigned
729 Posts
I do mine a bit differant, and i taper mine start at 9 bands a side and end up with 6 at the pouch, jeff
Hey Jeff,

Thats a cracking catty very impressive and I'm sure it has good power too..
Some day we may have to do a trade if your up to it, I can make you a Mexican style chained catty and you make me a UK style chained catty.

But I need to catch up on making some for a few people, making one for my Nephew and then a Mechanic at work who generaously donates for me when he has them 14 and 16 mm steel bearings that he collects from some of the shaker machines. He promised me 100 rounds if I make him a catty. Also owe another friend and another Mexican lad wants me to fix his fork for him and set it up.

Nick

·
Resigned
729 Posts
I wanted to clarify something about the style of tapering I use with the cheap staples office bands.

As my chaining is 3 links I have obtained a very effective taper with the #64 rubberbands by putting 4 at the base and then 3 and 3 in the final links.

With the 433 chain using the #64s I was able to achieve with a .50 cal lead ball velocities of 168 - 173 fps
I'd say thats more than enough power to down prey with.

Here's a resortera with this set-up on an antler fork

Yellow Metal Fashion accessory Pattern Wood

I already noted the type of velocities achieved with this kind of chain taper using the cheap #64s and it shot very well with 1/2 ounce lead balls.

Attachments

·
Resigned
729 Posts
chains are excellent I only use this rubber. I also get my bands from staples they are cheap and functional. check out my videos to see just how well they shoot... they still suprise me even now 170 fps with 8mm steel for something that costs 10 pence no wonder this is the poor man's shooting sport lol I'm proud anyhow.
Hi Luxor,

If you care to take a look into some of the velocities I have achieved with the red #32 rubberbands I posted some info with chrony pics on this older thread titled "more on chains"

http://slingshotforu...more-on-chains/

I think you may be surprised at how strong the red version of these rubberbands can be.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.