Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys
My dad just got me some lead
from some tiere weights and i would like some tips on how to cast it. Also does anyone have a mould for sale. Pls help because i really need some tips
Thanks
SR

·
Prince of Paraprosdokians and Epistemophilia
2,565 Posts
Hey guys
from some tiere weights and i would like some tips on how to cast it. Also does anyone have a mould for sale. Pls help because i really need some tips
Thanks
SR
I might sell mine. I'm probably finished making as many .495 balls as I need. Of course I would sell it with the special pot and the ladles. Where are you located?

·
Super Moderator
10,991 Posts
There is some pretty decent information on Youtube ... search on "casting bullets". These are not bad:

Rather than casting balls , you may be able to just cut the wheel weights into chunks using a band saw or bolt cutters. While not as precise, it is a lot easier and gives good plinking or hunting ammo.

Cheers ........... Charles

·
2,565 Posts
Mine, BTW, is dual cavity - you can make two balls at the same time - slower, but safer to use, than more multiple cavities.

Safety is primary. Must have good ventilation (NOT INDOORS UNLESS YOU'RE IN A VENTILATED GARAGE/SHED). Should be covered in clothing long sleeved, long pants and not
made of any synthetic material which can melt into your flesh (yuck). Should wear leather boots, eye protection and welder's gloves. Plenty of how-to instruction is on the net.

Most important is to be safe from burns! And don't inhale the toxic fumes!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys
Thanks
SR
I might sell mine. I'm probably finished making as many .495 balls as I need. Of course I would sell it with the special pot and the ladles. Where are you located?
[/quote]
Australia

·
2,565 Posts
Who said $70????

I said I have about 70# of wheel weights.

You're in Australia, mate?

Ummmmmmmmm, can you row?

·
Registered
149 Posts
just stick your fingertip in some moist sand and pour the molten lead in if you dont want to wait, it works very well too

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Hi Thwack your first comment below are you implying that the moulds we make are not SAFE? please be more specific i have over 35 year in the foundry industry
if you care to take a look at my post on our moulds you will see that at all time i have said that the moulds we make are with safety in mind??? sorry if i have got the wrong end of the stick! its just we have spent a lot of time /money and effort getting these mould in the shop window and a general open post like this can cores confusion with the less knowledgable thanks and all the best Pete
Mine, BTW, is dual cavity - you can make two balls at the same time - slower, but safer to use, than more multiple cavities.

Safety is primary. Must have good ventilation (NOT INDOORS UNLESS YOU'RE IN A VENTILATED GARAGE/SHED). Should be covered in clothing long sleeved, long pants and not
made of any synthetic material which can melt into your flesh (yuck). Should wear leather boots, eye protection and welder's gloves. Plenty of how-to instruction is on the net.

·
2,565 Posts

[/quote]

Hi, Pete

What we're addressing here is apparently a young lad whose daddy gave some wheel weights to cast. I'm assuming that he is rather young; he lets us know that he has zilch experience with what we know can be a dangerous undertaking if the proper precautions and procedures are not met, so it just seems to me that starting off on a smaller scale would be safest for him, until he gains more experience. I don't need to sell my equipment, nor did I plan to, he asked and I figured if the price is agreeable, perhaps I'll sell my equipment. What you should be noticing was my insistence that he engage in SAFETY while fabricating, with which I'm sure you'll agree. I don't care whose equipment he uses, and I wasn't knocking your equipment or offer.

And, yes, definately, I accept your apology, for I have also been guilty of misinterpretation on (hopefully rare) occassions. : )

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I Would total agree that first and formost SAFTY must all ways come first when entering into the black art of self casting.I am a member of a few slingshot forums
and crindge at some of the self proclamed casting experts who dish out advice on HOW TO.casting metal into wood moulds? pore metal into damp sand?
casting metal into a mould dont get me wrong its not rocket science but a hole heap of common sense is a must.

·
Banned
2,531 Posts
I'll attest to that today i got a mold yes I did ask for advice but none was forthcoming,anyway I cast a few balls and with what molten lead was left I deposited on a spoon...well it crackled and popped,which got me thinking molds have to be completely DRY!!!..good job I read what Pete posts

·
2,565 Posts
I'll attest to that today i got a mold yes I did ask for advice but none was forthcoming,anyway I cast a few balls and with what molten lead was left I deposited on a spoon...well it crackled and popped,which got me thinking molds have to be completely DRY!!!..good job I read what Pete posts
Yes, even one drop of water in your molten pot of lead will cause an explosion, and, my friend, you don't want any part of your body/face near it. That's why, when I mold (always outside), I always wear a bandana on my forehead to keep sweat from dripping into the pot, and I also wear a see-through face shield (HarborFreight.com).

·
2,565 Posts
Thanks THWACK.I now pre heat my mold
I lay a corner of my mould on the (gas) burner at the same time the burner is heating the pot. It's always ready to take the lead and form it perfectly.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts