Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the idea for an adjustable banding jig. I wanted it to be able to sturdy, but also to be able to be adjusted to any size I would need. My goal was to use hardware and parts that were going to be thrown away at work (I'm a union pipefitter). The only thing I had to purchase where the alligator clamps. This thread is about me building it.

Here is the pile of parts.
d93cbad7e9191d9ddbfa095363c7aa62.jpg

3/8" all thread, nut, square washer, strut nut, nut on bottom to lock. Tied into a piece of 1 5/8" Kindorf or unistrut. This will allow me to change the The width between the posts very easy.
2963be433a9ca512b6ba3f62700aeee1.jpg

3/8 rod coupling as a top nut so I have something to wrench on with just channel locks and VOILA! An adjustable height, and width band tying jig. Can also use smaller alligator clips.

What do you guys think?
c5e34d15d4370a7a6585fe220461f0bd.jpg
73ad99a6072efd2ea9e88c47d9d985fb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,927 Posts
Nice jig. You did good. That is better than some of the cheap plastic or wood ones seen up for sale. You can't get any better than your design unless it was a quick release kind of deal that allowed sliding the posts without unscrewing the nuts. But you will soon find your favorite pouch design and be making them all the same anyway.

I found two clamps that screw unto a desk or table top with an arm extending out to clamp my bands to. I have also found that paracord braiding jigs are already set up for easy adjustment with a wing nut and have the hooks for the spring clamps already in place. No modifications needed to be used as a band tying jig.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Cool, now you just need some bulk elastic, an efficient way to cut it and some pouches and you're all set.

OR you can order some die cut taper strips on the cheap and you're off and running without cutting anything.

I have found the cheap ones from China in the links below to be of better than average quality. They last far longer than Theraband without any question.

Good fresh natural colored pure latex is great if you can find it in a thickness you like and have some assurance it has not been stored in a warehouse for years before you get it.

If you do cut your own you are not really saving much if anything but opening the door to greater versatility.

I have tried all available thicknesses of these tapered strips and decided I like .8mm best in this length and taper for 3/8" steel. Your mileage may vary.

If you do buy keep in mind the length and taper will always be 20mm X 12mm X 25cm on all of it when deciding the thickness you want to get.

They turn it fast so you are all but guaranteed to get fresh new product.

Since I swap around between bands strips I buy and those I cut myself all my batch cutting jigs are set to this exact same length and taper.

The length is longer than my draw and I almost always cut down the narrow ends on the bands.

If I want something different, the quantity is generally small enough that I will either cut it with an adjustable taper ruler gadget or a simple quilter's ruler.

I don't think this seller ever gets in a hurry to ship orders out but they have managed to deliver about a dozen different orders to me and have always sent exactly what I ordered. Other sellers also have it in the same and even more colors. Some may even have it a few pennies cheaper but since I have a history of always getting exactly what I order from this seller I stick with them.

To put it in money terms you can spend less than $40 and have enough die cut strips to make a hundred high quality band sets.

Look virtually anywhere in the USA that sells assembled band sets and see what that amount of money will get you.

I would warn if you shoot 3/8" or larger steel it may not be wise to buy assembled band sets from China through Aliexpress or eBay. Most will come with an undersized pouch that can be a bit dangerous with bigger ammo. Most of the assembled Chinese pouches come with pouches so small it leads me to believe something in the neighborhood of 1/4" steel is the most common size they use.

You may shoot 1,000 3/8" steel balls from one of those tiny little pouches without incident but all it takes is one to slip over or under the common little "V" notches that most have and you will have a flier that's headed someplace other than your catch box.

A good pouch can last through several bands so pouch cost is a minor thing to consider when you are tying your own band sets. Getting pouches you like is far more important than cost.

Natural Color:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/20PCS-0-7mm-0-8mm-Thickness-Natural-Latex-Slingshots-Flat-Rubber-Bands-for-Hunting-Catapult-Slingshot/1902008_32826698675.html?spm=2114.12010615.8148356.10.65f942a3N48n1D

Orange Color:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/20PCS-0-6mm-0-7mm-0-8mm-Thickness-Natural-Latex-Slingshots-Flat-Elastic-Rubber-Bands-for/1902008_32828659260.html?spm=2114.12010615.8148356.12.65f942a3W0glOP

More expensive and in lots of ten instead of 20 but bright green if you are so inclined:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/SURIEEN-10PCS-Natural-Latex-Slingshots-Flat-Rubber-Band-Strong-Elastic-Part-Rubber-Bands-for-Hunting-Slingshot/1902008_32816533188.html?spm=2114.12010615.8148356.2.65f942a35vEtNZ

Reactions: Jolly Roger

·
Registered
745 Posts
I got the idea for an adjustable banding jig. I wanted it to be able to sturdy, but also to be able to be adjusted to any size I would need. My goal was to use hardware and parts that were going to be thrown away at work (I'm a union pipefitter). The only thing I had to purchase where the alligator clamps. This thread is about me building it.

3/8" all thread, nut, square washer, strut nut, nut on bottom to lock. Tied into a piece of 1 5/8" Kindorf or unistrut. This will allow me to change the The width between the posts very easy.

3/8 rod coupling as a top nut so I have something to wrench on with just channel locks and VOILA! An adjustable height, and width band tying jig. Can also use smaller alligator clips.

What do you guys think?

Do you plan on putting something on the bottom to make it wider than the width of the Unistrut? I like it but I think you will still want to add something for a wider base. As is it will tip over fairly easily.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Nice jig. You did good. That is better than some of the cheap plastic or wood ones seen up for sale. You can't get any better than your design unless it was a quick release kind of deal that allowed sliding the posts without unscrewing the nuts. But you will soon find your favorite pouch design and be making them all the same anyway.

I found two clamps that screw unto a desk or table top with an arm extending out to clamp my bands to. I have also found that paracord braiding jigs are already set up for easy adjustment with a wing nut and have the hooks for the spring clamps already in place. No modifications needed to be used as a band tying jig.
"I have also found that paracord braiding jigs are already set up for easy adjustment with a wing nut" I don't need a banding jig but until I read this I had never seen a prachord braiding jig before and had not even contemplated the existence of one. I just looked them up on eBay. They are very inexpensive and would make an outstanding base for a band jig. I think this is a great tip for anyone who wants a banding jig. There is almost no work to be done except add clamps and start using it. Great tip JR!!! I hope a lot of new shooters find your note. Any chance you would put something about these in "Newbie Question Forum"? It's a great way for someone new to get an effective banding jig on the cheap with very little work to do to it to make is as functional as anything you can buy commercially sold as a "band jig". I think this could help a lot of newbies out without straining their wallets to buy a commercial banding jig or those without tools to make one.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts

"I have also found that paracord braiding jigs are already set up for easy adjustment with a wing nut" I don't need a banding jig but until I read this I had never seen a prachord braiding jig before and had not even contemplated the existence of one. I just looked them up on eBay. They are very inexpensive and would make an outstanding base for a band jig. I think this is a great tip for anyone who wants a banding jig. There is almost no work to be done except add clamps and start using it. Great tip JR!!! I hope a lot of new shooters find your note. Any chance you would put something about these in "Newbie Question Forum"? It's a great way for someone new to get an effective banding jig on the cheap with very little work to do to it to make is as functional as anything you can buy commercially sold as a "band jig". I think this could help a lot of newbies out without straining their wallets to buy a commercial banding jig or those without tools to make one.
That is a great idea and I have one already, I love dual purposed tools. Have you ever seen it done on the cheap with two bindwr clips? If you need il can post a pic its literally a $2 5 minute band jig.

Sent using two thumbs and Tapatalk.

·
Registered
745 Posts

That is a great idea and I have one already, I love dual purposed tools. Have you ever seen it done on the cheap with two bindwr clips? If you need il can post a pic its literally a $2 5 minute band jig.

Someone else may need it but I have at least ten or so banding jigs. I had a local metal shape make the one I use the most and they made me two identical as freebies.

Here are a few Chinese commercial models that I no longer use but still keep them.

Gas Automotive tire Machine Metal Rectangle

Attachments

Reactions: BushpotChef

·
Banned
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Someone else may need it but I have at least ten or so banding jigs. I had a local metal shape make the one I use the most and they made me two identical as freebies.
Here are a few Chinese commercial models that I no longer use but still keep them.
attachicon.gif
Chinese Banding Jigs.jpg
That's an impressive collection of jigs!! I don't even understand how half of them even work

·
Prince of Paraprosdokians and Epistemophilia
2,565 Posts

What do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
Wow Wig!that is some Top Shelf MacGuyver repurposed "stuff", right there. You even inspired some other makers to do a jig. Woooo! It'll be in my pics of cool stuff to make.

Reactions: THWACK!

·
Registered
745 Posts

attachicon.gif
Chinese Banding Jigs.jpg
That's an impressive collection of jigs!! I don't even understand how half of them even work

They all only tension one side at a time. Most require a pair of hemostats with elastic tubes over the jaws. The little red plastic ones are from Dankung and they don't need hemostats but they also don't give you hardly any room to work on your tie so they are rather frustrating to use. The little red ones do work if you have the patience for working with them. ALL the others are very easy to use.

·
2,565 Posts
Wiggly, is that a harmonica (as in "blues harp") in your mouth with hands cupped around a microphone, or are you engaged in tongue tickling?

As asked by a former member of the South Florida Blues Society (and the South Florida Bluegrass Association).

Reactions: Fiveshooter

·
2,565 Posts
Wiggly, is that a harmonica (as in "blues harp") in your mouth with hands cupped around a microphone, or are you engaged in tongue tickling?

As asked by a former member of the South Florida Blues Society (and the South Florida Bluegrass Association).
It's a microphone. I used to sing in a few bands back in my younger days.

Oh my! You were "harp"less!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts