Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey people, decided its time for me to make my own catty, but unsure of the frame I should use, for example a lot of people make natural ones using bits off trees and others just buy frames. What would you recommend I try for my first catapult made by me? I think itd be useful if I told you I have no tools only screwdrivers, so im thinking of a natural one but then again are naturals too weak? I think I should also mention I shoot using .38 lead and stainless steel balls and use flatbands.

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,144 Posts
I think a natural fork would be the way to go. They are strong and lots of fun to make and shoot.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
All you need to make a natural is a saw of some type and a knife, a file and a bit of sand paper will finish it off. Use a good hardwood, ash, oak, etc., and it will be strong enough for any type of shooting. Good luck, and have fun.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
This one took a saw to cut it, the bark peeled off by hand, a small file to smooth the cut ends, wiped on a couple of coats of varnish, since I use tubes I'll be drilling two holes and that's pretty much it....total about a hour start to finish.

·
Resigned
1,142 Posts
I would go with a natural fork as well. Naturals are far stronger than most board cuts as the wood grew that way naturally and the grain structure was "designed"to bear maximum weight possible. The only wood that possesses similar strength is multiplex.

A fine natural fork can be made with only something to cut it with, some sandpaper, or you can even skip the sanding and burnish it with a piece of broken glass. I put my final sanding on mine with a sheet of plain printer paper, which actually puts a decent shine to them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've only taken this slingshot shooting up again recently and wanted to make a natural because it is relatively straightforward and all you really need is a handsaw and fairly decent knife, having found a couple of tutorials on You Tube I decided on ash as it is in plentyful supply locally and easy to work with.

If you like making things I would advise you to try to buy your own tools, for years I borrowed but it is much better to have your own.

If there is an auction with a general household sale or a carboot sale near you check them out and check out ebay check it out as there are always bargains to be had you'd be amazed at what you can pick up.

I always try to get the best quality I can afford.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
i think this forks are too big...
Everyone likes different things, I like large heavy forks with light bands, everyone shoots differently, I shoot hammer grip mostly with thumb and forefinger very low on forks if I need more support. That's another good thing about naturals they come in a infinite variety.

·
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
1,414 Posts
A natural fork is always the best start, just make sure that you test its strength prior to attaching any bands to it mate...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.