Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I do some work in the automotive industry, so I sometimes have access to neat stuff. What I have here is a pretty eaten up maple natural fork with a butt cap made from a material called fordite. If you aren't familiar with what that is, it's layers of paint that have been repeatedly sprayed and baked over and over to make a very hard material. I filled the bug holes and gaps in the paint with different colors of resin. In the end, this was finished with automotive clear coat. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I love that Fordite, people make some really cool jewelry out of it as well!

I'd get the same effect from layers and layers of different waxes under the waxing iron for my cross country skis, unfortunately there's not much use for a gob of pretty wax.

That's outstanding Drew, if you run into a surplus of Fordite butts, please keep me in mind!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Wow that fordite is really interesting stuff. Seeing the finished product and knowing nothing about it I never would’ve guessed it started out looking like a chefs hat!! Then BAM, all that color!!! Really cool stuff, and love all the multi colored resin fill ins on the fork. Great work again my friend!!

·
Prince of Paraprosdokians and Epistemophilia
2,565 Posts
Hey guys! I do some work in the automotive industry, so I sometimes have access to neat stuff. What I have here is a pretty eaten up maple natural fork with a butt cap made from a material called fordite. If you aren't familiar with what that is, it's layers of paint that have been repeatedly sprayed and baked over and over to make a very hard material. I filled the bug holes and gaps in the paint with different colors of resin. In the end, this was finished with automotive clear coat. Thanks for looking!
That's amazing! What a coincidence! My neighbors were "Maple" and "Fordite"!

Enjoy!

THWACK!

·
Prince of Paraprosdokians and Epistemophilia
2,565 Posts
I love that Fordite, people make some really cool jewelry out of it as well!

I'd get the same effect from layers and layers of different waxes under the waxing iron for my cross country skis, unfortunately there's not much use for a gob of pretty wax.

That's outstanding Drew, if you run into a surplus of Fordite butts, please keep me in mind!
Drew, send the Fordite to him and the butts to me.

Signed,

Anonymous

·
Amateur
2,576 Posts
Cool looking shooter! I like how you can resurrect forks that most of us would probably pass over! Great stuff.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts