Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Cool, wilbanba! But, man, some of those marbles are too magnificent to shoot...!!!

(On the lighter side... If you've got money to burn -- check out this baby on eBay?! I know it's awfully big -- but can't you just see some fool having one too many Mai Tai's and grabbin' that out of his marble collection, loading it up in his wrist rocket, and accidentally smashing it to smithereens on a concrete wall somewhere?!)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Cool, wilbanba! But, man, some of those marbles are too magnificent to shoot...!!! :aahhhh:

(On the lighter side... If you've got money to burn -- check out this baby on eBay?! I know it's awfully big -- but can't you just see some fool having one too many Mai Tai's and grabbin' that out of his marble collection, loading it up in his wrist rocket, and accidentally smashing it to smithereens on a concrete wall somewhere?!) :slap: :bawling:
thought it was a jawbreaker when i first saw it. wow!
i usually get my glass at a dollar store but i thought the links would be nice if someone wanted all the same color etc.
nice avatar btw (it makes me want to watch batman).

·
Resigned
1,152 Posts
I buy all mine at the local "Everything Inside $1.00" store. I can choose between 100 normal sized (I think 1/2") or 150 3/8" for $1.00. For serious tasks (pest eradication and hunting) I have two gang molds for lead ammo. The marbles are perfect for 15-yard target shooting, though, and so cheap I think nothing of taking a bag and going out in the woods for some roving. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey, this is Pete from LandOfMarbles.com

I know people use marbles in slingshots, but to date my awareness of the practice came from my monitoring of the news feeds for the word "marbles." There are routinely articles nationwide about windows having been shot out by vandals. This always led me to believe I shouldn't pay any attention to marketing marbles as slingshot fodder. Finding this thread has me wondering otherwise.

Are there legitamate reasons for using slingshots? If I were to learn of legal uses for them, I'd feel a whole lot better about marketing marbles as ammo.

What would be the primary desire for the perfect marbles for use with slingshots? I'm guessing low cost? And I assume being perfect spheres is also important. How about size? I currently have 12, 14, 16, 25, 35, 42 and 50mm. 12mm clearies would be cheapest. What are you accustomed to paying for marbles?

Upsides to using marbles? They are non-toxic for one. Glass is inert, so if one were to become lost (as I expect many are) it would be no more harmless to the environment than a rock. They are also reliably round (50 years ago "out-of-round" marbles were fairly common - they've more or less licked that problem today) and perhaps relatively cheap. (are there alternatives to using marbles, or is that pretty much what is used?)

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the feedback of those in the know!

-Peter Caparelli
LandOfMarbles.com

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hey, this is Pete from LandOfMarbles.com

I know people use marbles in slingshots, but to date my awareness of the practice came from my monitoring of the news feeds for the word "marbles." There are routinely articles nationwide about windows having been shot out by vandals. This always led me to believe I shouldn't pay any attention to marketing marbles as slingshot fodder. Finding this thread has me wondering otherwise.

~windows can be broken by anything not just marbles and occasionally the errant gangbanger with bass turned all the way up in their honda civic!
~marbles are not necessarily the culprit as much as irresponsible parents/shooting/music selections

Are there legitimate reasons for using slingshots? If I were to learn of legal uses for them, I'd feel a whole lot better about marketing marbles as ammo.

~i dont know how you define legitimate and im not going to even touch on the fragile legal and ethical aspects of recreational shooting (of anything let alone a childrens toy)
~just sell them as marbles (people who want to use them as ammo can deal with their own legal and ethical issues)

What would be the primary desire for the perfect marbles for use with slingshots? I'm guessing low cost? And I assume being perfect spheres is also important. How about size? I currently have 12, 14, 16, 25, 35, 42 and 50mm. 12mm clearies would be cheapest. What are you accustomed to paying for marbles?

~low cost, availability, sphericity, range of sizes, choice of color (some make excellent tracer ammo such as yellow orange and white)
~if people are trolling dollar stores i guess expected cost to be $1.00 or less
~however, if they are obtained at other stores with other modern toys id estimate a few bucks or less depending on quantity

Upsides to using marbles? They are non-toxic for one. Glass is inert, so if one were to become lost (as I expect many are) it would be no more harmless to the environment than a rock. They are also reliably round (50 years ago "out-of-round" marbles were fairly common - they've more or less licked that problem today) and perhaps relatively cheap. (are there alternatives to using marbles, or is that pretty much what is used?)

~advantages: sphericity, visibility in flight, low cost
~not necessarily "harmless" to environment if you consider small game part of the environment (which i do)
~anything can be shot out of a slingshot including, but not limited to, ball bearings, marbles, pie weights, paintballs, airsoft pellets, etc.
~the use of marbles with slingshot seems to have began when marbles fall out of favor with children in the late 50s to early 60s (though the argument could be made that it wasnt generational as much as maturational when children got a bit older the marbles just werent as interesting) and high quality slingshots were being made and given to children

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the feedback of those in the know!

-Peter Caparelli
LandOfMarbles.com
hi peter thanks for chiming in
i put replies in your msg above ^
these are my opinions only FWIW
welcome to the forum

·
Registered
230 Posts
some people use there slingshot for hunting target partice or just having fuin people who use marble mainly use them for target practice or having fun coloured marbles are used more id think as they are easier to find

·
Registered
3 Posts
Interesting to know. Maybe I won't advertise them for use as slingshot ammo, but I still appreciate the info. Yellow and red dyes cost a premium, so yellow, red or orange marbles will cost more. When I sell them loose, I sell all colors at the same price, but if I were to offer them in bulk, red and yellow would be priced higher. I guess white is the best color option them. White marbles are manufactured in 14mm and 25mm, for use as board game marbles.

I know lots of things can break windows, I was just noting marbles in particular as I use Google to auto-scan the newswire for stories with the keyword marbles. If windows are broken with other things, those articles would not be singled out for my review.

I run MegaGlass.com too, so the most cost-effective marble offered at either site would be the white Chinese Checker marbles sold in bulk at MegaGlass.com as Item #66403; a bulk polybag of 625 14mm white marbles for $26.63, or $.043 per marble. (or blue, green or black at the same price), as opposed to $32.55 per poly, or $.052 per marble, for yellow or red.

I can get these colors cheaper at other sources, but the quality is poor in that the glass is softer (so there are hit marks) and very little dye is used (resulting in transparent colors and/or colors that are not bright. My market typically is not looking for the cheapest marbles, I sell high quality marbles manufactured in Mexico. Marbles from Chine are very low quality, as are US-made marbles, where production costs are higher so they cut corners and use softer glass and less dye. (Chinese marbles have a reputation for using "dirty" glass.)

Thanks for the welcome, but slingshots are not my thing. I was primarily interested in tickling brains here re marbles as slingshot ammo. I might return 1 or 2 more times seeking additional info to this thread, but other than that I will likely not crop up again...

So thanks again, and if anyone has anything to add I'll be back!

·
Registered
161 Posts
As far as I"m concerned the reason I use marbles is because they are cheap and round. Like myself and others have said before, the marbles at the dollar stores which cost a buck for a hundred, is cheap ammo. So, the main concern for me is cost. I don't care what color they are.

·
Resigned
5,563 Posts
Cool, wilbanba! But, man, some of those marbles are too magnificent to shoot...!!!

(On the lighter side... If you've got money to burn -- check out this baby on eBay?! I know it's awfully big -- but can't you just see some fool having one too many Mai Tai's and grabbin' that out of his marble collection, loading it up in his wrist rocket, and accidentally smashing it to smithereens on a concrete wall somewhere?!)
try Albertsons Super Market and or The Dollar Store. I like marbels because they have a dead blow effect so there is not much power left if it leaves impact.

·
Registered
855 Posts
What is a dead blow effect?
I think he means like a dead blow hammer, which is a hollow plastic hammer filled with shot that imparts all of its energy during impact so that it doesn't bounce back or have any residual energy left over. I've seen this while shooting marbles myself. When they have hit my wooden tagret backstop they've just dropped a foot or so from the backstop rather than ricocheting back like steel ammo.

·
Resigned
5,563 Posts
What is a dead blow effect?
I think he means like a dead blow hammer, which is a hollow plastic hammer filled with shot that imparts all of its energy during impact so that it doesn't bounce back or have any residual energy left over. I've seen this while shooting marbles myself. When they have hit my wooden tagret backstop they've just dropped a foot or so from the backstop rather than ricocheting back like steel ammo.
[/quote]

No matter what you shoot safety glasses are a must. When in season The Dollar Store sells a 50 count bag of marbles for a dollar. I have tried the black hollow plastic shot by Barnett but you have to be very close and this shot comes back on you fast. White tracer ammo is good but a little light in weight. I favor a hex head nut with a 3/8 opening so on some I drive a 3/8 steel ball in for a weighted shot , penetration is more likely. Dont care for lead. Hazardous, it goes in the body by skin and if you smelt it you breath it. Did obtain lead ball that is completely jacketed and I use these sparingly since I have less than a 100 left.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Corks are used to seal a wine bottles.

If the wine bottle seal is made out of rubber, some folks mistakenly call it a rubber cork.

The proper term is a "rubber stopper".

RUBBER STOPPERS - 1 OF SIZE 8 with FREE SHIPPING!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item58844a13bd

Marble is a natural stone.

If you shape a piece of marble into a sphere you can use it to play games or as a projectile.

Why do we call the glass spheres that we shoot in slingshots: marbles?

(Some folks call plastic knives, forks, and spoons: "silverware")

My other hobby is learning about the origin of words and phrases.

Have you ever given or received a "Cold Shoulder"?

·
Registered
454 Posts
How dare you use something as beautiful as those as ammo!

I buy my marbles cheaply from a local toy store. But marbles hurt my power bands.

·
Slingshots Canada
708 Posts
Do you know about the Egyptian marble ? do you know that the Egyptian marble is the best marble around the world, the Egyptian Marble has a wide variety of types it can look sophisticated or simple, warm or cool, elegant or rustic due to its wide range of colors such as : sunny, silvia ,topica rosa ,sinai pearl

also the Egyptian granite is one of the best granite over the world It resists wear, deterioration and weathering, while maintaining its natural beauty and finish indefinitely,
there are many types of the Egyptian granite such as : gandona aswan , karnak gray , shabah Sinai , nero aswan and another marvelous types .

cid egypt can export any types of the Egyptian marble and granite to any place over the world with affordable prices , cid Egypt also provide After-sales service
cid egypt have created unique and innovative designs with co-operation of Mr. Hazem Shoukry designs who are the best natural stone designer in Egypt and middle
east.
with cid Egypt you can order delivery and installation easily, do you know that cid Egypt recently made a deal with HSBC to protect your deposit until you receive your order!

This means that your money is secure until you receive the goods you are paying for ultimately making you feel more secure and relaxed when dealing with us.
marble tiles
Ugh the spammers must be picking up on this site, Now were getting posts for slingshot irrelevant stuff
(That website is selling marble SLABS not marbles, Must have keyworded marble found us and posted lol)

·
Premium Member
3,050 Posts
Jabo Inc industrial marbles 1/2 inch. If you need 55 pounds of marbles. 1/2" 91000 9000 PC BULK 84.00 55

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
CID, I'll delete your posts shortly as irrelevant and spam.

Peter, you may not want to advertise your marbles as ammunition; I can respect that as it doesn't particularly position them as a collector quality if they are sold to be shot away.

To answer your question, yes, certainly there are legitimate uses for slingshots. The most prevalent use these days is for target practice, including competition. There are regional and national competitions. The majority of members here are over 30 years of age and we mostly got back into the sport to inspire our kids and grandchildren to do something healty and fun and not sit at home all day watching cable or playing video games. The youngsters on the forum are without exception responsible kids who listen to good advice and use their slingshots only for sport.

Slingshots present a complimentary market for marbles. Being neither collectors nor people keen on playing the game of marbles, we care only that our marbles are more or less round and without big off centre bubbles that would destabilise the shot. We also buy ammo in reasonable quantity. You could offload big bags of reject marbles to us.

You may not decide to be a site vendor until the venture has proved itself with sales, but if you sold these bags significantly cheaper than Wallmart on your website, it'd catch on quickly.

I have one more thought for people shooting marbles in th back yard though: a marble in the lawnmower could have serious consequences, particularly if the blades are exposed.

·
Premium Member
2,005 Posts
I use marbles that are for chinese checkers from Jabco.
9/16" GREEN GREENCC 3000 PC BULK $24.00 25 pounds 62 grain .008 each before shipping.
I have green marbles scattered all over the desert where I go stump shooting.
A bag of marbles and my favorite shooter now thats a way to spend the afternoon.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts