Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my 800 marbles and I am having a blast. Being cheap, I dont shoot them at the catch box, I just plink around with them, chasing cans, taking long shots etc. Its pure fun!
Now, I dont see many people using them, and I wonder why? Is it their big size? 16mm isn't punny, but it does offer nice comfort.
So, why is everyone using or NOT using them?

·
See The Target
21,953 Posts
I use them quite a bit . There is a myth that they are not accurate . I can disprove that . I think guys just don't grip and release them properly . I don't like the swirl type . A solid glass 5/8 inch is about the same weight as 7/16 inch steel . I mostly shoot 3/8 steel and 5/8 inch glass balls . Been on a marble kick lately . I can cut cards and light matches with a marble . To each his own .

·
Registered
406 Posts
Marbles are my go to ammo. I shoot them at everything... except bottles and cans. Around here empty bottles and cans are worth $0.10 each. Ten of them will buy another bag of marbles at the Dollar Tree :drinkup:

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
The doller store where I am has the most marbles sold in the nation they asked me what we do with them I told them we play marbles did not know if they have a anti shoot anything person working for them we order them 10 and 12 cases at a time.

·
Premium Member
9,883 Posts
I love finding them at night with a head lamp. They are great for snakes, they just bludgeon the crap out of em. But when hunting squirrels they bounce off limbs like little rockets. I shoot them a lot. If you don't like the 5/8" ones there's always 1/2" and now Daisy has 7"16.
I like the clear vase fillers from Wal mart.

·
Super Moderator
6,673 Posts
I used them for years. When I was a kid, you could go down to the corner store and get a 5 cent or a 10 cent bag of them. I would then promptly go down the dumps and shoot all kinds of junk all day with my slingshot. Great times! They were cheap and accurate. I still have a whole box of them.

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
I used them for years. When I was a kid, you could go down to the corner store and get a 5 cent or a 10 cent bag of them. I would then promptly go down the dumps and shoot all kinds of junk all day with my slingshot. Great times! They were cheap and accurate. I still have a whole box of them.
Oh Man! I loved Dump Shooting. You can go nuts breaking bottles and jars and nobody cared. Dump Rats were most folks first live target with .22 and Flips. People did care about that, in encouraging you to bust all you could. Thanx for reminding me. :lol:

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
985 Posts
I've got nothing against them, but I'm usually shooting lighter bands so they're not as practical. I've tried the regular ones, but preferred the 1/2" size that Daisy sells. Once I get above 1/2" I'm not real comfortable shooting the ammo. I usually use BB's or clay ammo right now (because it's mainly stump shooting) but will happily grab some marbles if/when I run out.

Reactions: Tag

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've got nothing against them, but I'm usually shooting lighter bands so they're not as practical. I've tried the regular ones, but preferred the 1/2" size that Daisy sells. Once I get above 1/2" I'm not real comfortable shooting the ammo. I usually use BB's or clay ammo right now (because it's mainly stump shooting) but will happily grab some marbles if/when I run out.
When I first began shooting, I quickly abandoned marbles because of their weight. Fixed anchor does need heavier bands than I prefer in order to shoot marbles. Now that I converted to 3/4 butterfly and longer sometimes, I dont have those limitations any more :)

·
Super Moderator
6,673 Posts
Oh Man! I loved Dump Shooting. You can go nuts breaking bottles and jars and nobody cared. Dump Rats were most folks first live target with .22 and Flips. People did care about that, in encouraging you to bust all you could. Thanx for reminding me. :lol:
Oh yeah Paul. I would hang bottles on old pipes, hang up old plates, light bulbs, big cans, small cans -you name it. Go down at night with a flashlight and the eyes of 100 rats were locked onto you! I was a dump shooter lover!!!!!!! Man, what fun!

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
That's great you're having a ball man, I love me some marbles. I'm shooting 5/8" & 1/2" that's a bit smaller than 16mm fight? Forgive me, long night at work.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Hey Flip I've tried those mini marbles from Michaels and they work a treat for short range and indoor work. Enough poke for sparrows in the garden of need be, 2040 singles & 1632 loop and send em pretty sweet. :)

Reactions: Crazy Canuck
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.