Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
No other shooting sport compares.
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I found a good deal on marbles at the local craft store. I am pretty excited to start shooting these. One question. Would these be allowed if shooting competitively?

·
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
1,426 Posts
So I found a good deal on marbles at the local craft store. I am pretty excited to start shooting these. One question. Would these be allowed if shooting competitively?
TBH I think 6mm steel would be considerably cheaper and more accurate, due to be less affected by wind, drop, etc!

·
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm. According to the saunders flatband document glass marbles are not to be shot out of their bands. I have a ton of 3/8 inch ammo but they do not work with the saunders bands. And I am in the mood to shoot the flatbander.

·
1,426 Posts
6 mm is tiny.
It may be tiny but you have to look at the relative densities of steel and glass - OK they do vary and the steel BBs are coated with nickel, but it still gives you a pretty good idea...

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
In Belgium glass marbles are used in tournament shooting, in Thailand clay balls are used. There is no reason that they couldn't be used in a short range competition. A lot of people use them for target shooting at short and mid-range.. I use them pretty much exclusively of plinking, I don't hunt...you just have to match your bands to the ammo.
As to whether any specific tournament or group will use them in the US it's hard to say since most people seem to suffer from the "More Power" syndrome.

·
Super Moderator
6,511 Posts
At the East Coast Slingshot Tournament we have in Alverton PA the last 2 years,The Tournament coordinator ( Jaybird ) allows any type ammo you want in the competition. I shot marbles for years growing up. They were a lot cheaper when I was a kid then steel balls. I no longer hunt but back then I did kill many Blackbirds,Rats, and cans and other trash too with them. Like Harp says,nothing wrong with them for short range stuff. Flatband

·
1,426 Posts
Personally, I don't really see the point as steel is cheaper - in the UK anyway.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
that's too bad, here I can pick up glass marbles for around a penny or two a piece at the local dollar store can't even come close to that in steel or lead and have to pay shipping on top.

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
I shoot 1/2" marbles for targets at home from 10 to 20 meters and they work just fine. I shoot them with 1/2" straight cut gum rubber bands 1/16" thick. I don't get band slap or any negatives at all. It's just another ammo to me except it is the easiest ammo for me to just go and buy from the store. I have to order steel. Only steel I have shot is 3/8 and it's OK, but I think 7/16 or even half inch would be better. I make 7/16 lead ammo for once in a while hunting, but it takes quite a bit of band power to flatten out trajectory enough to where I like it.
I think 1/2" steel would be a great all-round ammo, except for the cost. Every time I think about getting 1/2" steel I balk at the cost and just go get 3/8 steel or marbles.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
At the East Coast Slingshot Tournament we have in Alverton PA the last 2 years,The Tournament coordinator ( Jaybird ) allows any type ammo you want in the competition. I shot marbles for years growing up. They were a lot cheaper when I was a kid then steel balls. I no longer hunt but back then I did kill many Blackbirds,Rats, and cans and other trash too with them. Like Harp says,nothing wrong with them for short range stuff. Flatband
Can I shoot a mini R/C helicopter?

·
Philly
2,595 Posts
Walmart, 3LB bag of 5/8" for $4.00. They have a metalic flash in them, really pick up the light. They sell them for floral arrangements and fish tanks.

·
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice. I will have to check walmart next time I go. I found some nice pouch leather at michaels today.

·
Resigned
5,563 Posts
Walmart, 3LB bag of 5/8" for $4.00. They have a metalic flash in them, really pick up the light. They sell them for floral arrangements and fish tanks.
Are you certain they are round ?? I have seen sacks like that but not round glass.

·
Resigned
5,563 Posts
Jaybird makes Logic, you shoot what works for you other wise you must use this rubber and this shlingshot and this pouch and everyone has to stand this way. I would like to go and have some fun and shoot what I want but, I will have to settle for video if there is any.

·
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Are you certain they are round ?? I have seen sacks like that but not round glass.
[/quote]

I just found the 3lb bags at walmart. They were mixed in with all the bags of the flat glass. But these are round. I shot a bunch of them last night. They worked great.

·
Philly
2,595 Posts
Shot great, they are round. I miked about 20 and they were all within .010" dia., round enough for me.

·
Philly
2,595 Posts
Hey guys, bought another bag tonight. Did a little bench work to get some stats on consistency. Took 10 marbles and miked them, avg. was .618" with a spread of +/-.010". Then put them on my Reading powder scale and weighed them. Avg, 78 grains with a spread of +/- 10 grains. Not bad for $4.35 (tax included ) for 270 marbles per bag. That's an average of $0.016 cents each. Give them a try, at this price, I can shoot them in the woods all day long.
Philly

1 - 20 of 23 Posts