Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You saw the $20 scroll saw and knew it had to happen. Still rough around the edges, but you get the idea. 3/4" solid birch with Walnut scales.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Waiting to see the finished job! Creative use of color and texture and design.
Thanks! I'm slowing my roll, now and just holding it, gauging it for feel. Right now, I feel like the sharp point where my thumb goes needs softened. I wish I had incorporated a swell for the web of my hand. Trial and error, I guess, but it's been great fun!

Mark

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
Waiting to see the finished job! Creative use of color and texture and design.
Thanks! I'm slowing my roll, now and just holding it, gauging it for feel. Right now, I feel like the sharp point where my thumb goes needs softened. I wish I had incorporated a swell for the web of my hand. Trial and error, I guess, but it's been great fun!

Mark
In almost every piece I do, there is this look back that says, " Dang! I wish I had..."

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's an update. I'm remembering lessons learned decades ago of the importance of thoroughly cleaning up squeezed out excess glue. Also learning to be more careful with the Dremel. I got some gouges I'm afraid I might have to live with. Anyway, still far from done, but done for tonight.
362a624c79a2a0f6d5382c1603b269d1.jpg
f1f569e83d1297050ccf7e2283b1b669.jpg
1712d5a934a8918f61885c4b0bf1a9ef.jpg

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's what I ended up with. I admit I got a little impatient at the end. I soaked it in BLO overnight and will let it cure today and over the weekend. I'm pleased for my first effort.

Mark

a40973d80165c66bc24da885e1aad177.jpg
85d2cb73e5b8352e3db59b70104b16b5.jpg

·
Mojave Mo
4,821 Posts
I've got the impatient disease as well. Now try telling yourself it is 'good enough' and you will be 'happy shooting this one sling' for the rest of your days. Then comb through the forum and find that guy that can hit 10 for 10 with a stick in the shape of a Y...Y...Y...WHY???!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've got the impatient disease as well. Now try telling yourself it is 'good enough' and you will be 'happy shooting this one sling' for the rest of your days. Then comb through the forum and find that guy that can hit 10 for 10 with a stick in the shape of a Y...Y...Y...WHY???!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I got impatient because I got impatient and made some boo-boos early on and it was going to take time/work to come back from. And yes, "good enough for this frame" popped into my head last night. I'll be starting another frame, soon. I already have the material. Maybe there will be fewer boo-boos!

Mark

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
A very nice slingshot Mark. I don't think I ever in my life made anything that I was perfectly happy with. It is whats known as being a frustrated artist. Just try to remember to make your "stumbling stones" stepping stones. The next one will be better...but not perfect. They never will be in your eyes!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts