Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you members consider the best material to use for core of a home made slingshot? Also would like to know where is the best place to purchase that material? Im just starting out so a material thats easy to work with would probably be best.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Most slingshots cores are usually made of aluminum, brass, or steel,... but you can use simple birch plywood as a core. It's easy to cut and shape.....any solid hardwood board works too.....just make sure theres a good contrast in color or grain

Sent from my B3-A40 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Bent stainless steel rod slingshots are fairly easy to make with a simple rod bender, such as this one, which has a base to be placed inside a vice, and comes with a set of dies with different diameters:

http://www.bacindustries.com/product3-bending-forming-tools-rod-mighty.php

Start out with 6 mm steel rod (photo), and move up to 8 mm rod once you become proficient in bending. The process yields Indestructible slingshots that are safe to shoot. Much better than wood (in my opinion).

You can choose between either flat bands or tubes...expect 2-3 hours of work for one of these slingshots.

There is a detailed tutorial in the templates section of this forum, if ever...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
aluminum; its cheap, its strong and looks very nice as a core.

I use 2 mm thick plates and do not even think of using something else without a very good reason.

by the way, if you do not have power tools, as myself, you can still cut it with a copy saw with the saw for metal - it goes slowla but the results are fine.

cheers,

jazz

1 - 8 of 8 Posts