Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys i have the oportunity to use some 12mm mdf for a slingshot frame i was not intending to put strong bands on it as it would not be able to handle them it is also not for hunting just for weak bands in the garden. do you think that it is up to it and if so what is the maximum weight of pull do you think it would take.

thanks guys all comments are apreciated
berkshire

·
Banned
6,402 Posts
Should be fine with a 'chunky' type frame and lighter bands.

Moisture is your biggest enemy as it weakens MDF considerably and quite fast. Be sure to seal it well.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
personally i would only consider mdf for a 'mock-up' model to test how a new design feels in the hand before cutting up expensive hardwoods.

but for a little weak-banded bb plinker i guess itd do, if you seal it well with paint to keep out moisture.

good luck with it, keep us posted

cheers, remco

·
Banned
6,402 Posts
There have been many dozens of slingshots made from MDF in the past. With careful planning of the design, they can be just as safe as any other materials provided the 'weak points' are addressed.

A former vendor from this site used to dead exclusively with MDF slingshots with no bad reports that I am aware.

To quote another member of this site "Nothing says beauty like glued up carcinogenic sawdust"

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok i will not be hunting with this as i hunt with my mutiplex catapult, so it will be a garden plinker. so basically i have to seal it well so that there is no moisture that is going to get in and then dont have any thin points.

·
Engorged Member
363 Posts
I have a little indoor shooter set up with single strand TB Silver, 2-1cm taper and a very light pouch. The draw weight should be no problem at all even for slimmer MDF designs and with light ammo it shoots wickedly fast. I use sheets of soft toilet paper well soaked in water that is then squeezed and kneaded into a dense little ball which I leave out to dry overnight. If you shoot it against light cloth in a catchbox they last quite long time. I have been considering giving them a thin coat of silicone to make them last even longer (by smearing thumb and forefinger with silicone and rolling the balls between the fingers)

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a little indoor shooter set up with single strand TB Silver, 2-1cm taper and a very light pouch. The draw weight should be no problem at all even for slimmer MDF designs and with light ammo it shoots wickedly fast. I use sheets of soft toilet paper well soaked in water that is then squeezed and kneaded into a dense little ball which I leave out to dry overnight. If you shoot it against light cloth in a catchbox they last quite long time. I have been considering giving them a thin coat of silicone to make them last even longer (by smearing thumb and forefinger with silicone and rolling the balls between the fingers)
that is quite smart idea about you using the toilet paper for ammo, one quesion how come you dont use the little airsoft bbs as they are only 6mm and they would also shoot fast and last a long time.

·
Engorged Member
363 Posts
I cut a very large hole in my pouch ... I can shoot the paperballs or 16mm marbles, 12mm steel just slips through and gets "left behind" when releasing the pouch :-D

otherwise that would certainly be an option. They bounce around and ricochet really crazy though, and they are not as easy to find again as the big papermachee balls. My next slingshot will be an original pickle fork shooter (now that the templates have been uploaded) and I will most likely set it up for 6mm plastic airsoft ammo.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oh i thought that they were quite small, i prefere to shoot the airsoft bbs inside because they still shoot fast and if they hit something that they shouldnt they do not do any damage.

·
Engorged Member
363 Posts
The toilet paper balls are around 14mm.

Btw shooting marbles with these weak bands is surprisingly fun, they don't really get "shot", it feels more like they are actually "thrown", and you can see the ball sailing through the air in a gentle curve ... makes short distances much more challenging, and forces one to develop a very smooth pouch release. Great training over the winter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts