Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
How about a curved bow on the front with the bands attached to the ends and going forward, around bearings, then back to the projectile. It would be like a compound slingshot.

·
Resigned
729 Posts
What would you guys think about a medieval-style crossbow (for shooting balls of course), operated with pretensed rubber instead of the hardened steel spring?

Something like this:

http://js-armbrust.c...is_Communis.gif
I'd like to see that, I am very fascinated with and in search of working medieval style stone crossbows and this would be a cool alternative..

Nico

·
Registered
522 Posts
Thanks, Sean. My cave drawings are the result of MS Paint, not any sort of CAD. I have to finish the arrow-shooting slingbow I started several months ago before I even think of building something like this.

·
Registered
338 Posts
i like the idea of u making a medieval crossbow, but it would be a lot more interesting if used the other idea for the forks in your video about the ballista thing on youtube. because it would be the first time i see one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have allready made it ,,it was funcional but need more work ,,
I used prestreched rubber ,, And you can shot arrows and balls with it ,,
sorry I dont have orginal pictures ,, here is a mspaint scetch I made now ,,
Its very powerfull..
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii189/metallmind/crosbow.jpg
Here is another Fast drawing pitcure
it should look something like that ,,..
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii189/metallmind/samostrel1.jpg

sorry I dont have orginal pitcures of my homemade crossbow with rubber bands ,
hope I could help

·
Super Moderator
10,982 Posts
It will be interesting to see how it works out. The draw length is very short for a slingshot. The extra elongation of the bands from their front position to their rear position will be very little if the original "bow" arms have significant length. I do not think elastic bands are as "fast" as a bow, so my guess is that it will not have significant power unless the dimensions are changed significantly. But you never know until you try it!

Cheers ..... Charles

·
Registered
20 Posts
It will be interesting to see how it works out. The draw length is very short for a slingshot. The extra elongation of the bands from their front position to their rear position will be very little if the original "bow" arms have significant length. I do not think elastic bands are as "fast" as a bow, so my guess is that it will not have significant power unless the dimensions are changed significantly. But you never know until you try it!

Cheers ..... Charles
That is a fast drawing , dont mind dimensions ,,and bad writeing .

The rubber band is prestreched . so you dont need much draw...
I shot with it comercial arrows for crossbow very fast, marbels , and steel balls .

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Black7, that is pretty much the idea.

I started the work on this new weapon, and have finished the lock and trigger part pretty much.

The starting point:

Turned the nut in the lathe, from beech:

Fitted it in the tiller. The hole is for resting the ball in place. I know now you will say "magnet", but I want to shoot lead from it, too.

Here is the trigger part, to be operated with the looong lever

Secured the nut with a side plate. The nut can take a lot of force.

Will have to attach the prod (fork) and then take care of the "beauty" part - should be shooting tonite.

EDIT: Charles, I did change the dimensions. Longer draw, more narrow prod. It won't be an exact replica. Functionality rules!

Still, the draw will be a lot shorter than on my other slingshot crossbows. It will be interesting to see how much the prestretching helps.

Jörg

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
No. Anything that touches the ammo in flight will reduce speed, potentially harm the rubber and reduce accuracy. The "fork" will be two inches high, so the ball will be lifted up in order to fly straight.

Medieval stone crossbows followed the same principle.

I will use a pouch just like on a normal slingshot. The rails are needed only when you use string. As I don't plan to shoot arrows, I don't need the string.

Jörg

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.