Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Merry Christmas guys! I am not very active lately because of having to work too much, and because my son, who was scheduled to travel two days ago and visit me, didnt, because there was a problem with his passport during check-in.
Needless to say, I am devastated. He will come next friday, but the time he will spend here is greatly reduced now.
The only thing that gives me any real pleasure is my son, and my holidays now got ruined without him. I will not be celebrating the new year, not without him. They are forcing me to go with everyone at my sister's for the new year, and because I have no patience of having everyone lecturing me about going to a psychiatrist, I will indeed go and pretend I am fine, but thats beside the matter.
As for slingshots, yes, I shoot everyday. Its the second thing I enjoy, and it keeps me distracted. Improving all the time does help too! I am close to the point that MJ once made, that much time is needed before one can consistently hit what he is aiming at. I followed advice from MJ, Nathan, Hays, and from many others, put in the time to develop muscle memory, and things are going well. Don't get me wrong, I know that in a competition I wouldn't fare as well as in my private range, and I know that I need to improve more. So, what I do now is excersises to strengthen my grip, and I've found some nuances that greatly improve accuracy. I'll keep it short and I'll mention only one, which I've found by accident.
When I draw back, and reach my anchor, I was considering it as a single step, and aiming and releasing, two more steps. That resulted in losing tension, and sometimes creeping my drawing arm a bit forward, which I've discovered that decreases consistency. Now I consider all the steps as one, paying attention to keep my muscle tension steady throughout. I am not sure why, but the results don't lie. So, guys, do try it and see if you see any improvement, or if it is all in my mind hahaha

·
Master of Swine Fu
3,190 Posts
Merry Christmas to you sir. sorry to hear about the holiday plan snafu. glad to hear about your slinging progress. we're all on the same journey here. we just travel different paths. and sometimes they intersect as well.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Hoggy! I should have sought the forum's consolation earlier :)

Reactions: Tag

·
Aimstinctivist
774 Posts
They are forcing me to go with everyone at my sister's for the new year, and because I have no patience of having everyone lecturing me about going to a psychiatrist, I will indeed go and pretend I am fine, but thats beside the matter.
As red flag statements go, this would have to be in the top three.

The difficulties you allude to, my loquacious Greek brother, won't vanish of their own accord. Left alone, they tend to fester and expand. Heed the advice of your blood Skropi. Slingshooting is only cathartic until it becomes an obsession- or a substitute.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

·
Super Moderator
6,192 Posts
Here's looking to a great new year.

Where does your son live? I too struggle with a separation of country from my kids - its not an easy experience. I'm getting to see them end of Feb - looking forward. Hope that the time till he arrives goes quickly for you.

I gather being Greek your family likes being involved :)

Stay calm.

Cheers Matt

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Where does your son live? I too struggle with a separation of country from my kids - its not an easy experience. I'm getting to see them end of Feb - looking forward. Hope that the time till he arrives goes quickly for you.

Stay calm.

Cheers Matt
My son lives in Serbia. He will come this Friday, thankfully, but many days were lost, and days I didn't work and we could spend them together.
Hula Baloo is right, I made a step today and went to the archery training. It was MUCH harder than you may think, me going out to actually meet new people. I am very social once I am acquainted to someone, but I find it very hard to make the step anymore. But went I did, and I feel rejuvenated mentally. I didn't shoot, just talked about their club and Olympic archery, similarities to slingshots etc. Next Sunday I will get to shoot there. What's important is that this little socialization went a long way. And yes, I hope my slingshot skills transfer enough to impress them ????
Btw, after much talk about archery, I came to wonder how the heck we manage to hit our targets.... I mean, we have it very hard in comparison to archers. I came to this conclusion after they explained to me what the clicker does.... Guys, we are.....superior..... ???? (and primitive ????)

·
Super Moderator
6,192 Posts

Stay calm.

Cheers Matt
My son lives in Serbia. He will come this Friday, thankfully, but many days were lost, and days I didn't work and we could spend them together.
Hula Baloo is right, I made a step today and went to the archery training. It was MUCH harder than you may think, me going out to actually meet new people. I am very social once I am acquainted to someone, but I find it very hard to make the step anymore. But went I did, and I feel rejuvenated mentally. I didn't shoot, just talked about their club and Olympic archery, similarities to slingshots etc. Next Sunday I will get to shoot there. What's important is that this little socialization went a long way. And yes, I hope my slingshot skills transfer enough to impress them
Btw, after much talk about archery, I came to wonder how the heck we manage to hit our targets.... I mean, we have it very hard in comparison to archers. I came to this conclusion after they explained to me what the clicker does.... Guys, we are.....superior..... (and primitive )
I am hoping to bring my bow back with me after seeing the kids. Looking forward to be able to get to do some archery again. ;-)

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Matt, which style do you shoot? If I didn't have plans for a gold medal in the Olympics, I would shoot barebow recurve and longbows. But priorities are priorities, so for me it will be Olympic freestyle ????

·
Super Moderator
6,192 Posts
The local range is mainly Olympic recurve. But was thinking of doing instinctive so bare bow with a 3 finger medditrreanian release. But will see how it goes... My bow has a basic sight which is removed so should just need a set of arrows and be good to go once I have my stuff back.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The local range is mainly Olympic recurve. But was thinking of doing instinctive so bare bow with a 3 finger medditrreanian release. But will see how it goes... My bow has a basic sight which is removed so should just need a set of arrows and be good to go once I have my stuff back.
So no string walking? Better not I guess. If one is to string walk, better go all the way and aim properly :)

·
Super Moderator
6,192 Posts
So no string walking? Better not I guess. If one is to string walk, better go all the way and aim properly :)
Nope - none of that :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts