Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My good friend Blue Skeen recently hinted that he would like me to make him a new starship based on his proven and deadly "Long Tom" design. His only request was that I use Mulberry in the build, a favored wood of his. Well, here it is and all I can say is that this thing is EXTREMELY accurate and easy to shoot. I simply call it the "Long Tom II"
I took his "Long Tom" design and Flipped it Out! The core of the frame is made from DymaLux for mass and strength and the outsides are made from Mulberry. The handle has been custom fitted to Blue's hand and the butt cap is made from Bocote. I modified his original design in several ways, but fundamentally kept the same geometry. The forks are adjustable to allow for an extension from 7.5" to 12.5" in front of the hand, providing an extra long draw to zip his preferred 7/16" ammo and .050" latex to work extra well. He has no idea that this slingshot is on its way to him for Christmas.

I would love to see his face when he opens the package on Christmas day! With that said, don't let the cat out the bag if you happen to talk with him before then.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Nathan, What a great guy you are to use your considerable talents for this Christmas gift! Blue is gonna flip ! This is an absolutely beautiful piece of work for a wonderful person ! Have a very Merry Christmas!

·
Super Moderator
6,685 Posts
Oh boy, Blue is gonna flip over that Bud! Really nice Nathan! He shoots that Long Tom when he gets serious. I won't let him know. What a great Christmas Present and a great friend too! Flatband

·
Philly
2,595 Posts
Top notch shooter for a top notch guy. Beautiful Nathan.
Philly

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
That is wonderful Flippinout! Thanks for being so thoughtful for a really great guy. Blue was a great influence on me when I got back in slingshots. He is the greatest. -- Tex

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you all. I really enjoyed making this starship and I don't think it will be my last. I was astounded at how well it shoots and the overall novelty of the beast, especially being a shooter of small and pocketable slingshots myself. The stability and long sight plane really make for an accurate slingshot.

The arm brace does have rocker to allow the frame to conform to the shooters physical geometry and seems to be an improvement over the static arm brace that was on the original Long Tom from which this slingshot was inspired.

I talked to Blue last night, and he totally ignored the "Do not open till christmas" markings on the box. He was happy to say the least and told me he would take it through the paces today and let me know what he thought.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts