Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the first time ever got to meet a fellow slinger face to face. With time and a place sorted - had to look out for someone wearing a black jacket, army bag and a beard.

With my 2 kids in tow had a chat and a coffee.

Due to life changes a while ago I had some bits and pieces which I was able to pass on to him (literally save it from being tossed in the trash). He had 2 shepherd slings for me. Extremely grateful for those. I've been getting into them recently and to have such nice ones to play with is fantastic.

Q makes (though not so much anymore) some of the coolest natties made entirely by hand - They were with out a doubt some of the visual candy that got me back into making frames. To be able to discuss his approach in person was awesome.

A great experience - thanks for the time and the slings Q!

:)

·
Aimstinctivist
774 Posts
To be able to discuss his approach in person was awesome.
I see. So, to be clear, you have coffee with a Master who most likely shares with you the secret of turning wood into glass and somehow you think it appropriate to share only this anemic description of that discussion? Matthew, Matthew, Matthew...

We want detail and we want it now. Did he smell okay? :bouncy:

·
Super Moderator
6,192 Posts
LOL - no its a smarter than me phone. Just seen better days (the joys of young kids)

Hulla Baloo - Thats a kiss and tell type deal ;-) Secrets can only be divulged in person... Needs a special handshake, uniform and everything. Let alone a quiet secluded meeting in a dodgy gang-ridden suburb.

·
Super Moderator
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Though to be fair. I always assumed he had access to some power tools - and used a spindle sander to shape his forks as they are super-clean, accurate and crisp. Was surprised he does all the work with only a knife, files and sandpaper... Actually Mark Seljan's approach to nattie's seems very similar. Apparently his 'big trick' is super simple - simply choosing sandpaper grades (go figure).

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
That's great. Like you I have never met another slinger face to face.

Q is, in my opinion, the maker of the most aesthetic (esthetic here in the US) naturals I have ever seen. Very cool that you got to meet him.

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
Have not been back here in quite some time, and I see this post and have the biggest smile for you!
It is my dream to one day meet up with my dear friend Q! One day ;)
Congrats on meeting a slingshot hero and master carver. I'm sure Portugal was beautiful :)
Give Q all the hugs, and if you're reading this good buddy, I miss ya!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts