Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are these things?

Any descriptions or pictures would be helpful.

JPMSLNT said they are his favorite bands and were long-lasting, but I have no clue what they are.

Thx.

WD

·
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
1,249 Posts
I am going to try chained rubber. I wonder how fast it is?
TBH I wouldn't bother, I think you'd only end up being disappointed they're not as efficient as flatbands or even tubular rubber...

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Guys have used elastic bands on youtube in a similar way, they have killed bunnies with them too, I think it is viable, the question is just how. I think the weakest link theory will apply, and the nature of friction and how it will slow down the recoil.

·
Registered
439 Posts
this are two original mexican resorteras a nice mexican friend send to me. people there have lot of experience with chained bands. they are as fast as trumark heavy pull tubes. they are excelent to throw heavy stones and all sorts of heavy amunition and they are astounly precise! if u get the right ruber bands, give it a try!

·
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
1,249 Posts
this are two original mexican resorteras a nice mexican friend send to me. people there have lot of experience with chained bands. they are as fast as trumark heavy pull tubes. they are excelent to throw heavy stones and all sorts of heavy amunition and they are astounly precise! if u get the right ruber bands, give it a try!
No offence, but they look like something you'd find in a prison cell!

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
I am going to try chained rubber. I wonder how fast it is?
TBH I wouldn't bother, I think you'd only end up being disappointed they're not as efficient as flatbands or even tubular rubber...

[/quote]

Ive used that type for years, and still do they hit with a sting, ive took all small game with that type, you should try it, start with 9 or 10 at the fork then taper down to 6 or 7, with a 12mm steel ball it will go right though one of though large sweet tins, jeff

·
Resigned
1,100 Posts
I have been using these for a few months now and will share what I know.

I was taught by the man who made Baumstamm's pair above. This man has used them for around 20 years and swears by them. I use bands made from 5 bands per link, three links total per side. In a chronograph test performed by the man who taught me this setup repeatedly shot .44 round lead at over 200 fps. You have to use the higher-end bands for good performance but you also can use cheaper bands. They are much more finicky and will break quicker. My bandsets last on average of 400-600 shots and while they may not be the vaunted Thera-Gold I don't have to cut them out and deal with its teething problems. I'm not picking on the Thera-Gold but I have found my elastic after searching for about two years for something I like that is also cheap. I can buy a one-pound bag for ten dollars US.

Use only the Platinum Crepe red #32's for this. If you have to use something else use rubber band gun ammo linked for a nine-inch band. The true glory of these is you can craft your own bands without having to cut flatbands. I know this may upset the Tera-lovers and it isn't meant to in the slightest. This is just my personal choice. I like simplicity and ease; more time to spend shooting versus struggling for a clean edge with m y rotary cutter at the table. In fact, I don't even know where my rotary cutter is anymore, a fact I enjoy immensely.

These work great with natural forks with the gypsy tabs. Those of you whose tastes run more to the Dayhiker and Harpersgrace catties will find these very to your liking. I also think these would mount very quickly to a dankung for those who like them. I have one that reposes apparently with my rotary cutter as I am commited to naturals now.

Yes, they do look like something pulled out of an inmate's mattress.....just be thankful I'm not the inmate for this is, despite its awful appearance, a very effective and SILENT slingshot.

A great point with these is they don't simultaneously break and hit you in the face. Years ago I was struck in the left eye by a broken tube and suffered short-term loss of vision. The chains will have one or two bands break without completely failing.

The open design of these is also VERY quiet for those of us who value silence while shooting.

I can repeatedly strike a 32-oz Dairy Queen cup at 30 yards with .44 round lead using this setup. I'm also happy to answer any questions anyone may have about them, and I reccomend them without reservation.

I haven't killed anything with this setup yet but I haven't really been hunting hard, either.....mostly concentrating on fishing. I have no doubts of their effectiveness after knocking chunks of wood off a stump with both marbles and round balls.

Finally, in a pinch you can make these from 5-per-link cheap office #64's. They are horrible to draw (no problem for Jeorg) but the power is great. The price is right, too, at $5 per one-lb bag.

·
Resigned
1,100 Posts

I don't mean to be disagreeable, but what are linked rubber bands anything but small, thin flatbands? I think the dankung people have established smaller, thinner, and multiple as more efficient and that's in Tube World. One would think the flatband lovers would be falling all over themselves for a cheap, efficient, and reliable elastic that would put them on a par with the dankung bunch that better yet requires zero cutting.

I don't want to be troublesome here but I'm willing to put this elastic up to the test in Alverton.....any takers?

·
Registered
439 Posts
No offence, but they look like something you'd find in a prison cell!

[/quote]
ths last one is a so called alambre resortera, they were maid from coathangers and are typical for prisoners and roieters. the first one is a real work of art! both are excelent shooters and made with lots of experience.

·
Resigned
1,100 Posts
Well, I'm not going to get into a slingshot duel for a grand but I plan on at least attempting to win some prizes and compare their performance against some other serious shooters. Though in the past I have been capable of hitting one-quart oil bottles at a measured 50 yards with a homemade slingshot repeatedly.......and I am now regaining my old skills thanks to my being shown this new elastic. So I could one day see myself getting into something like that and posing a threat.......

For years I have been a solitary shooter with no hope of serious competition. I am making plans to get to Alverton (have to see how crew rotation works) as I need to measure myself against some long-time serious shooters. I also want to see what others are capable of and compare my abilities. You never know what you can learn from others and what sort of new ideas they bring with them. To be honest I scorned this sort of band as childish, crude, and ineffective until I tired of struggling with flatbands.....by learning from another experienced shooter I'm now able to enjoy making my own equipment (very important to me) and project great force at long range.

Thanks for your interest!

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,013 Posts
Great post jmplsnt ! I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your thoughts on this subject. I remember shooting slingshots with rubber bands linked when that was all we had as kids. We had loads of fun shooting with them too.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks, jmsplnt, for all the great information.

I am researching rubber-band bands right now on this forum and the slingshot forum at jacksshed.myfreeforum.org.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.