Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made this one in the spirit of the "poacher catapult" favored by our friends in the UK. A proper poacher should be small enough to easily conceal, powerful and accurate enough to take game effectively and not so beautiful that you couldn't chuck it in the woods if you had to.
This one is micro-size, it fits easily in the palm of your hand. With the 4-strand 1842s it will surely take game from rabbits on down and I only spent about 20min making it so no worries if it had to be abandoned (truth be told, I'd probably go back for it, though
). It's even camoflage since I only sanded the bark down instead of removing it.

Plant Hand Gesture Grass Finger

Finger Gesture Thumb Grass Terrestrial plant

Bird Wood Finger Grass Thumb

I don't shoot it so well yet because of my still healing thumb (those dots on my thumbnail in the pic are where I had to put holes in it to drain the blood
. The 1842s pack quite a recoil on this itty bitty frame and all that energy seems to go straight into my thumb.

Attachments

·
Super Genius
337 Posts
love it!!! not the thumb hit, but the SS...

·
Premium Member
4,900 Posts
That's a great little shooter, I'd for sure go back for it!

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
M_J... I don't think this is reallly in the spirit of the English poachers. It's too "mini". I like it, but I think it is more in line with Perry's and Bill Hays's BB-shooters.

·
"Crafter"
2,120 Posts
Ok MJ please post more pics of the attachment of them tubes please, or if possible whack up a small tutorial
I have been hesitent of Chinese tubes for lack of an attachment I could trust/quick/tool less that looks intriguing, sweet poacher btw.

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
M_J... I don't think this is reallly in the spirit of the English poachers. It's too "mini". I like it, but I think it is more in line with Perry's and Bill Hays's BB-shooters.
It's a misconception that because these are small that they are only good for tiny ammo and light bands. I have a pretty hot set of 4-strand 2040s on it now and have been shooting 7/16", 1/2" and 5/8" marbles all day. Even with these lighter-pulling bands I have no doubt in it's ability to take all manner of birds with 7/16" steel or lead.
It's definately not a traditional English poacher but I think it is in the spirit of them.
Something else: this is the only slingshot I have that I can target shoot with both eyes open. The way I hold it (even lower in the hand than in the pictures) lets me basically just point my hand at the target and be very accurate. I'm all about micro-shooters!
I'll put something together on that attachment for you, Luxor.

·
"Crafter"
2,120 Posts
Excellent thank you sir.

Edit Back on topic our "old-school" Milbro poachers are tiny. you can get them in a back pocket with ease. Granted the bands "square elastic" were traditionally huge hulks of long rubber that took a small winch and a boulder to gain any performance but I see the thinking in the small disposable poacher frame good work MJ.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Ok MJ please post more pics of the attachment of them tubes please, or if possible whack up a small tutorial
I have been hesitent of Chinese tubes for lack of an attachment I could trust/quick/tool less that looks intriguing, sweet poacher btw.
What he said please
.... had thought of doing something like that with paracord, was worried it'd be too rough.
Bruno

·
Super Moderator
5,206 Posts
Thanks M_J. Seeing this got me thinking. I like to carry a slingshot all the time, and the idea of having one I could toss if needed set my mind to work. The only problem I see with a tossable slingshot is that you should be able to pick up another identical one if you do toss it, so you don't have to get used to a different frame. Well, I had a few Cholita frames laying around and plenty of 1842. One thing led to another and I ended up with a very low cost pocketable, easily reproducable slingshot that flings .44 cal lead at 200+ fps. I'll be doing a build log in a few days and have named the new slingshot the "M_J Throwdown" in your honor.

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks M_J. Seeing this got me thinking. I like to carry a slingshot all the time, and the idea of having one I could toss if needed set my mind to work. The only problem I see with a tossable slingshot is that you should be able to pick up another identical one if you do toss it, so you don't have to get used to a different frame. Well, I had a few Cholita frames laying around and plenty of 1842. One thing led to another and I ended up with a very low cost pocketable, easily reproducable slingshot that flings .44 cal lead at 200+ fps. I'll be doing a build log in a few days and have named the new slingshot the "M_J Throwdown" in your honor.
Who-hoo! That's very cool, I am honored. Can't wait to see it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts