Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
General tinkerer
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks

Here's one I've been working on for a while, recently finished just waiting for some bands.

It's a Hawthorn fork inlaid with antler and a mosaic pin, the butt has been capped with spalted beech and a leather spacer, attached to the fork with a mosaic pin.

It's a mini wrench style Cattie, approx 1" deep and 1 3/4" between the forks. The holster has a basket weave carve in the front and a 5 strand braid holding everything in place.
The holster also has a belt loop drop so its comfortable when you sit down and doesn't jab the mandles :)

Musical instrument Kitchen utensil Tool Wood Hand tool

Wood Natural material Gun accessory Everyday carry Fashion accessory

Glasses Hand Musical instrument Wood Sunglasses

Hand Wood Finger Gesture Thumb

Hand tool Hand Wood Tool Hardwood

Thanks for looking

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
Very nice set, fits like a glove!

Reactions: MagicTorch100

·
WHO???
4,123 Posts
Jamie that is simply stunning,incredible my friend :headbang:

Reactions: MagicTorch100

·
General tinkerer
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I love the holster, is it difficult to make?
Hi Aras, thank you :). This particular example was a bit more complicated as I've carved the leather and also braided the strap. If you do a more straightforward design it's a lot easier. Although i still dye and wax my own leather which adds a bit of time. Happy to share some more detail if it'd be helpful :D

·
Registered
712 Posts
That would be awesome!

Hi Aras, thank you :). This particular example was a bit more complicated as I've carved the leather and also braided the strap. If you do a more straightforward design it's a lot easier. Although i still dye and wax my own leather which adds a bit of time. Happy to share some more detail if it'd be helpful :D
That would be awesome! Although I don't think I have enough leather to make it, I might need to buy some more.

·
General tinkerer
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That would be awesome!

That would be awesome! Although I don't think I have enough leather to make it, I might need to buy some more.
Hi Aras, a bit more detail on the holster.

3 pieces in total to make the holster;

1 x strap 7" by 1".
1 x back section 4" across the top 3" across the bottom, 3.5" long.
1 x front section, 5" across the top 4" across the bottom, 3.25" long.

I use 3.5mm leather for the back and strap and 2mm leather for the front. I hand dye the leather and then add some tooling or carve it.
Once that's done I mark and stitch the strap using a saddle stitch.

It's then just a case of marking the stich lines on the front and then using an awl or something similar to make the holes before sewing together.

Next time I make one I'll shoot a quick vid :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.