Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is one of my favorite toys. Probably the cheapest slingshot possible, but perfect for serious BB plinking. By creating a taper using 4 Alliance #64 bands, the speed generated by these little toy slingshots is increased dramatically. Because there's no cutting/tying, they come out consistently every time, and they're incredibly accurate. These are easy enough for kids to make in a few minutes, and the pull is as light as can be. The thumb-through grip provides enough speed for accurate BB target shooting up to 20 yards (more I'm sure, but that's the limit of my skill). A box of bands (425 count!) cost me $4 on sale at Staples.com - that's less than 4 cents per band set. The metal frames cost 35 cents each on Ebay. They come with a light pouch that'll only last a few hundred shots, and useless bands. A pouch by Tex completes the toy slingshot upgrade to a really fun little shooter. I only get about 100 shots at full power before bands start to break, but that's not a problem because it takes 5 seconds to replace any of them, and a completely new set takes about 30 seconds to create (no tools required). The whole thing is ultra light weight and small - you can fit it all, together with ammo and magnet, into a shirt pocket

What really gets me is the amazing speed and accuracy I get with this setup, and with a pull that's so much lighter than any 'real' slingshot. I just got a new Bill Hayes masterpiece 2 nights ago, and it's sitting waiting for a workout because I can't seem to put down these amazing little toys with tapered goodness

·
Registered
383 Posts
Thanks for the information and video. I enjoyed it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Charles,

My fiance never even had a passing interest in slingshots until I handed her one of these (she's a really petite lady). For the first time ever, she enjoyed an evening of lobbing peanuts into the woods, providing endless meals for our local squirrel population ... kinda the opposite reason that many people first think about picking up a slingshot, but I was just glad to watch her shoot

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
Good post. This does indeed look like a nice little toy to pass some time with. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ordered a gross (144) of the frames from Amazon for $58. I'm thinking about putting together a promotional shooting event, and giving them away to everyone who comes. Does anyone have a liability waiver already prepared for slingshot shooting events?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought one lot on ebay, and have another lot of these on order from Amazon - they come to 40 cents each, with shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039ZN636

I also found nice safety glasses for 81 cents each (with shipping), in lots of 120:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120-PAIR-1700-SERIES-CLEAR-LENS-SAFETY-GLASSES-/230624678805?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b24d5395

6000 BBs cost less than $10 at Walmart, and the rubber band sets cost 4 cents each. Print up some waivers and targets, and for less than $200, I could give away 120 shooting kits (with 24 frames left over for myself
). That's a fraction of what other promotional events cost to organize for my retail business (http://merchantsvillage.com) - and I'm sure people would love it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Having trouble finding the frames on amazon. Found this thread while searching. The link to the frames on amazon no longer pulls up anything.

Can someone help find it for me?

Thank you,
Mike

Sent via iPhone & skynet

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Notchent, I have something similar coming from dankung- jungle hunter II. Which if I had searched a bit more I would have found it on the Texas site and gotten it faster I'm sure. It's been in N.Y. For 4 days now.

Sent via iPhone & skynet

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just saw this and banded up a cheap Daisy wire frame that I removed the plastic handle from, wrapped in paracord, and bent the right angle ends back towards the frame forming a small elongated loop. I did the bending in a vice, and bent the end back toward the frame untill I coud just get a strecthed rubber band into it. I also squeezed the forks a little closer together. The bands were a little short for me using one double #64 at the frame, so I used two doubled #64s and one single at the pouch. I shot.177 BBs, 1/4 and 3/8 inch ball bearings and 1/2inch marbles at 10 yds. The .177 BBs were so fast they were hard to see. Effortless to pull, and suprisingly fast, even with the 3/8 steel.

I have been experimenting with other configurations of chained #64s, braided, knotted, and a combo of the two. Lots of possible configurations and I have been well pleased with the performance.

Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Would a smaller pouch than say what came originally with the daisy help in any way with shooting bbs or air soft ammo?

·
Registered
48 Posts
If your referrng to my post where I modified a Daisy, and got good results, I was not using the original pouch. I was using a homemade pouch I made out of lightweight leather that use to be a brushed suede leather coat. It is probably not even half the thickness of the Daisy pouches, and shorter, only about 21/2 inches long by one inch wide, and very soft. Thats wider and longer than it needed to be for that little ammo. I will probably make a smaller pouch and try it. I had to be very careful to get that tiny ammo centered. i'm sure an even smaller pouch would help.

I have shot hundreds of shots with the coat leather, with much stronger bands and heavier ammo and have not even had a tear yet. I got the coat at a church charity sale for fifty cents. It was extra large and will make hundreds of slingshot pouches. Can't beat that price for pouches!

Dave

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just tried that grip you are using in your video, with the thumb stuck through the fork on some natural Y forks. I never saw or thought about holding a slingshot that way, but I loved it. It provided a secure grip, that felt comfortable, and there was no pressure on my thumb, so no pain in my thumb which I was getting holding across the base of the forks. I shot those natural Y forks longer and better that way than any other hold I've tried so far. Thanks for the idea.

Dave

1 - 20 of 24 Posts