Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
well, i took your guys advice to put more heart and soul into a slingshot so i spent about 1:30 min sanding down a spare SS1 we have laying around... i will post a pic i took (with my camera this time
please comment how you like it please

Attachments

·
aka. bunnybuster
1,622 Posts
Very nice.
What type of wood?
I like the contour and smoothness of it.
Cant wait to see the finished product

Tom
aka. bunnybuster

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this is made of 1 inch thick beech wood. nothing fancy but it is a good sturdy hard wood. hopefuly i get a chance to make some more after i cut out our new laminate design

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
I'm heartened to see you working on improving your product. This photo is much better! I took a close look at it in photoshop and you've left some coarse sanding marks longitudinally (tips top handle) and diagonally (top right to bottom left). If you plan on varnishing, the lighter marks will be hidden but these deeper ones need sanding out or they will show. I know you're finding this is hard work, but try polishing a curved surface of hardened tool steel and you'll long for beech. Keep it up!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I am not done yet, I still have to sand with a high grit sandpaper by hand then I'll stain, poly 2 coats and try to sell:)

·
Registered
691 Posts
Dont forget to put groovs in for the bands! I also would make the fork tips narrower less friction for the bands.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes, after i finish sanding (hopefuly monday) i will put some grooves then stain it
ill prolly sell it even though i dont wanna

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
If I may, I must comment on your choice of knife. In my opinion it is wrong for the task (although it is a fine knife). Get yourself a Mora, they're cheap in price, but one of the greatest craftsmanship knives you can ever own. Google it .

·
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
1,426 Posts
Definite improvement, at this rate you'll be a master-craftsman in no time!

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,647 Posts
yes, after i finish sanding (hopefuly monday) i will put some grooves then stain it
When you want to keep all the slingshots you make....
Then you know they are nice.
BB
[/quote]

Some of the best words of wisdom I've heard a professional slingshot maker share!!!!

Glad to see you young men are not quitters!! Keep up the hard work. Trees that bend in the wind don't break, they survive!!! You guys are bending, adapting and learning to overcome.
Perry

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Sand the grooves out carefully to the same/similar grit as the rest of the catty. Otherwise the stain will look uneven at the tips as well as any top coating you use for finish.

You've made some great strides in a short time frame,(D)Evan. Keep it rollin!

ps... unashamedly I do keep my firsts of any of my s'shots. It's my reminder of where I've been. I share my work there after. The effort you've been putting into this one...you may want to 're-think' your 'sell it' thought.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sand the grooves out carefully to the same/similar grit as the rest of the catty. Otherwise the stain will look uneven at the tips as well as any top coating you use for finish.

You've made some great strides in a short time frame,(D)Evan. Keep it rollin!

ps... unashamedly I do keep my firsts of any of my s'shots. It's my reminder of where I've been. I share my work there after. The effort you've been putting into this one...you may want to 're-think' your 'sell it' thought.
[/quote]

yah, i have put alot of time in it but so much i wouldnt sell it for a good 20 in the US and 25 anywhere else. plus i have a Bunny Buster and a laminate im guna cut out and keep for myself. But if i ever wanna keep on ill just make it again

·
Registered
855 Posts
Looking good. I like to finish beech with plain tung oil. It takes on a sort of light orange-tan color that's really nice.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Just a few deep scratches to get out on the left fork tip, low on the right fork and above the butt of the handle. Then bring it up the grades to about P600 and varnish, or take it another grade and polish on a neutral mop.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts