Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Mo...

I'm waiting for truck parts so I decided to start on the F16.

First thing, I stripped it down to metal and got rid of all that junk.

I have in mind something like a chalice. wide forks but low cut.

Thought I could shape the metal with a butane torch, but just not hot enough to suit me. I tried a bottle of Map gas, much better.

Think I got the metal in the shape I would like, now comes the part that I dread. Wood. I'm going to try to sanwich the metal in, sort of like a hidden tang knife. Pictures will follow when I learn to use this new fangled cell phone.

Did you feel the earth tremble when I started?

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bicycle part Scaled reptile Tail Tool Terrestrial animal
Wood Tool Tableware Hardwood Wood stain

Okay gang here is a progress report on my F16.

First pix, I have the fork shaped sort of roughly the way I see it in my mind. Have yey to sand the dings out of it.

Second Pix, I have two pieces of oak sanded flat then marked all around where I plan to recess the frame down into the wood. The two holes I drilled are so when I put a peg in them , they make the two halves go together the same way every time.

Attachments

·
Mojave Mo
5,181 Posts
Now your cookin'! That is a great concept that I think I will copy with multiple mosaic layers of African Boobinga, Australian Burntwood, Canadian Coldwood and then carve a little inlaid mosquito out of Florida Swampwood and see how she turns out.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now your cookin'! That is a great concept that I think I will copy with multiple mosaic layers of African Boobinga, Australian Burntwood, Canadian Coldwood and then carve a little inlaid mosquito out of Florida Swampwood and see how she turns out.

Great Idea... Aussie burntwood used to be hard to find, but now you can get it for song. You might try Idaho potato vine or Carolina tarbush also.

·
Mojave Mo
5,181 Posts

Great Idea... Aussie burntwood used to be hard to find, but now you can get it for song. You might try Idaho potato vine or Carolina tarbush also.
Great call! If you come across any Crapifornia Crustywood then give me a shout! I know a guy who has a friend that is related to a person that was born in that region.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Great call! If you come across any Crapifornia Crustywood then give me a shout! I know a guy who has a friend that is related to a person that was born in that region.

I'll keep a weather eye out. Never know when you'll see a piece of crappy wood. Oops.. crusty wood.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mosey....

well, today I got the slabs inlet and glued the mess together. I bet if all of the guys on this forum really thought , we could have come up with a more awkward, dumb, left handed way of doing it! Boy that 80 year old oak is hard to work. I dread sanding it.

·
Mojave Mo
5,181 Posts
Mosey....
well, today I got the slabs inlet and glued the mess together. I bet if all of the guys on this forum really thought , we could have come up with a more awkward, dumb, left handed way of doing it! Boy that 80 year old oak is hard to work. I dread sanding it.
I'm tracking. When I have a lump of slingcrap sitting on the bench that is drying with the roughed up edges I start to think there is no way I am getting a slingshots out of that mess! Next time try some 20 year old Oak, might save you a few minutes!

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Mosey....
I'm tracking. When I have a lump of slingcrap sitting on the bench that is drying with the roughed up edges I start to think there is no way I am getting a slingshots out of that mess! Next time try some 20 year old Oak, might save you a few minutes!

I'll say it again. You two guys kill me! If you were a comedy team, the line would be around the block for tickets!!! Hysterical. You guys always brighten my day!!

·
Mojave Mo
5,181 Posts
Mosey....

I'll say it again. You two guys kill me! If you were a comedy team, the line would be around the block for tickets!!! Hysterical. You guys always brighten my day!!
Lucky for him I am serving them up like Ritz Crackers dipped in Peanut Butter!

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Mosey....

I rest my case!

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Mosey....

I rest my case!
Piffle!...n'...snort...... I haven't even woke up yet.

·
Mojave Mo
5,181 Posts
Mosey....

I rest my case!
Piffle!...n'...snort...... I haven't even woke up yet.
Seems to me you could mixing up your Detox with you ReTox!

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mosey...

Well. today was spent sanding...sanding...sanding. Now I remember why I prefer tinkering with metal; You pick up an L grinder and sparks are flying and stuff is getting done! This wrapping dinky piece of paper around a dinky block of wood the rubbing it on a dinky little scratch which resists with impunity, really blows! Did I mention that this wood is harder than the back of a tarheels head?

Mixed up a wash of 1/2 turpentine...1/2 linseed oil and gave the wood a real good coat of that. Don't know if it will help the wood, but it makes me feel better. I'll let that go 'till tomorrow. Hopefully my truck parts will come and I won't have to sand any more.

·
Mojave Mo
5,181 Posts
Mosey...
Well. today was spent sanding...sanding...sanding. Now I remember why I prefer tinkering with metal; You pick up an L grinder and sparks are flying and stuff is getting done! This wrapping dinky piece of paper around a dinky block of wood the rubbing it on a dinky little scratch which resists with impunity, really blows! Did I mention that this wood is harder than the back of a tarheels head?
Mixed up a wash of 1/2 turpentine...1/2 linseed oil and gave the wood a real good coat of that. Don't know if it will help the wood, but it makes me feel better. I'll let that go 'till tomorrow. Hopefully my truck parts will come and I won't have to sand any more.
Patience grasshoppa. Wax on, wax off. Have you tried sanding drunk, or while taking a shower?! I cannot disagree with the effort of manual sanding. I go into like a Charging Bull, and come out of it like a slab of Veal.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Drunk??? Saints forbid!! I've tried a variety of things whilst drunk in the shower, most met with harsh words. but not sanding.

In the morning ,I'll take up the baton and shuffle another lap.

Should have painted the iron first, and I knew that!. But NO,.. I just kept going on until now I'll have to mask it off. Somebody slap me!!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts