Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Resigned
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In BareBack Shooting and here JAX Style is being demonstrated, it is important to always hold the pouch on it's side and tweak the pouch upward for a safe shot. It is good to start with 5/16 ammo because it is easy for this ammo to clear the pouch and the hand till good skill is developed for shooting like this. Wear Eye Protection and everyone else around you.

http://youtu.be/oqm5-GnjzOw

· Super Moderator
10,906 Posts
I tried this again ... but after three shots, I cracked the knuckle on my left hand with a lead ball ... ouch. Think I am going to give it a pass, at least for now. My admiration goes to those who can do it! For me, it seems bare back shooting is like bare back bull riding ...

Cheers ...... Charles

· Resigned
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Charles, I am very sorry to hear that you have hit your hand. It is important to follow the rules of engaging in BareBack Shooting tubes or flatbands. It is a must to turn the pouch on it's side and tweak the pouch upward. Of course none of this explanation is of any use to you now. Lead balls do not forgive.
dgui

· Super Moderator
10,906 Posts
I was being careful to turn the pouch. The bands were not that fast, and I suspect .44 lead balls were too heavy. I should have started with much lighter ammo so the drop from release would not be so great. Just old, dumb me .... Well, I am still intrigued, but now must wait for my knuckle to heal before trying it again.

I will instruct my lawyers to drop the suit against you for now ....

Cheers ..... Charles

· Registered
399 Posts
Dgui, i am so scard!, everytime i see ur barebacks vids im like "Please!!, dont hit ur hand!! just not the hand!!" xD!!

I imagine myself doing that... oh god.. i have nightmares about it at nights, lmao!

U the master!!!!!

· Registered
73 Posts
I have an old The Backwoodsman volume 22 No.4 July/August 2001 that has an article The Pocket Slingshot by Richard Stross that covers a simple single rubber strapped slingshot that covers the use of a frameless slingshot that uses Alliance bands that measure 5/8 inch by 7 inches(107?) bands and a pouch that attaches the same manner as in the above vid. Not quite as powerful but he was shooting .53 caliber lead balls. When not in use it rolled up in a package 1 1/2 inch by 1 1/2 inches. The difference between the upper vid and this article was that he positioned the rubber to flip over the thumb and "When you release the pouch, you must rotate your left thumb downward at the same time. This is very important!" He advises that you will hit your thumb if you don't. He even says that he hit his thumb a few times when he was first learning but that with practice you will be able to do it without a problem. I've heard others look for a way to do a work around but maybe that is not the best way. Maybe the best way if you are going to do this is practice with light projectiles first and learn the correct release and movements and gradually work your way up in weight of projectiles. You dedicate yourself to the method to do it. I'm not quite ready to do it, but it is seductive to use minimalist equipment and heavy balls.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.