Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Mojave Mo
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When is a Natty no longer a Natty?! It seems to me that as soon as you start taking material away from a Natural Fork it cannot really be a Natty!
This is technically my 3rd try at a piece of Raw Mother Nature. The other two were practice runs and are close to be shootable, maybe. However, this Red Oak fork actually fits my hand. The fork gap is 3". Center Tip to Tip is 4". The spalting and tight grain structure is screaming in satisfaction that its life will continue on in this slingshot.
A simple bath in BLO followed by a rub down with paste wax set the stage for this piece! If you bump into Island Made let him know that I carved this with a pair of dull toenail clippers.
80cb61b4a7f6d381d3a8a0c70f093d85.jpg
ae52d0d8c8805695e65009dd340a51ff.jpg
73dfc18890f77261fbfe4310e64ab81e.jpg
7d5f76a70e5fd73a03b904fd149ecbaf.jpg
d7586a1b0dd28958d3b9388287c7d63c.jpg
9f10999680d06a081ae95b816e3c354b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,219 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts

Attachments

·
Mojave Mo
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I gotta say Mo, I'm impressed! The only thing I would have done differently is sharpened my clippers first.
Shane, Yours clippers are machined out of brass I'm assuming?
Yup, How did you know?!? There pretty, but don't hold an edge well.......
attachicon.gif
B1BF7DC7-6429-4015-8109-CF179CE3A5BC.jpeg
Yowza! Imelda Marcos clippers! Wait.....you youngsters won't know her...... ELVIS clippers!!!

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Imelda was to shoes what some of these guys are to slings.

Question... if a natty it's not...could it be a naughty?

or knotty?

or notie?

What ever, I sure like the finish. How long did you let the oil dry before waxing, if I might be so bold as to ask?

·
Mojave Mo
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

or knotty?
or notie?
What ever, I sure like the finish. How long did you let the oil dry before waxing, if I might be so bold as to ask?
That is a tricky question SJAaz! I have read the usage instructions on the can of BLO. Yet I see makers on the Forum give their Natty a 'bath' in the stuff overnight?? I tried that and the wood seems to weep for a few days. SO.... I let it dry in the house at about 70degrees on a cabinet near a ceiling fan to assist in the drying/evaporation. After 24 hours I just keep smelling it and rubbing the BLO weep until it doesn't smell anymore. It seems to take about 72 hours give or take. I watched a Treeman build video where he is using a HEAT GUN to dry down his finish. I am not sure but that might qualify at wood abuse in the great state of N. Carolina!

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Really hard dense wood like that ,I have little experience with. I mixed turpentine with my blo in the hopes of getting it to soak into the oak before it flashed off or dried or whatever it does. I know some of the "smitties" build a pvc tube long enough to fit say a hammer handle in. Put the handle in, fill with blo screw on cap and let sit for ages. Then they remove, wipe down and take a torch to 'em. Useless facts that you probably didn't need to know. Maybe a heat gun would work if you were careful.

I'm rambling...I'll go back to sleep now.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I know I'm late to the party, but that looks gorgeous. I'm guessing about 160 hours+. Toenail clippers can get the job done, plus there is a file for smoothing.

But really nice work wondering how she shoots.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,242 Posts

or knotty?
or notie?
That is a tricky question SJAaz! I have read the usage instructions on the can of BLO. Yet I see makers on the Forum give their Natty a 'bath' in the stuff overnight?? I tried that and the wood seems to weep for a few days. SO.... I let it dry in the house at about 70degrees on a cabinet near a ceiling fan to assist in the drying/evaporation. After 24 hours I just keep smelling it and rubbing the BLO weep until it doesn't smell anymore. It seems to take about 72 hours give or take. I watched a Treeman build video where he is using a HEAT GUN to dry down his finish. I am not sure but that might qualify at wood abuse in the great state of N. Carolina!

Hey now! I was using that heat gun just to whisker the wood. I always let my finishes air dry. I would never abuse my wood. Did I really just say that?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts