Slingshots Forum banner

Mo's Hobo-Feihu Re-Model

3K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  MOJAVE MO 
#1 ·
A month or so ago I spotted GZK Feihu on eBay that was listed as 'Perfect Condition', 'Never Shot', 'Mint'. All of that was likely true when it left the factory.
When I received it I saw right away that the owner tried to remove the beesting scales with a hammer and chisel. My first thoughts upon purchase was to remove the scales and make a few replacement sets out of some nice wood, then swap them at my leisure.
However. The original scales cracked and split once I finally removed them from the steel Peghead Core. At this point my carefully laid plans started to unravel day by day.
Let me tell you that me and this Feihu have not been getting along at all. The only thing I was certain of through this process is that I knew that I wouldn't have any issue making the perfect fork tips, that part was handled! Carving and sanding the scales should have been easier than I made it look. Trying to work around what WAS a highly polished metal core edge was something I was trying to do without marring the metal, to no avail. I moved it on to a 'brushed steel' look instead.
Attaching the scales with the correct replacement hardware was a huge pain in the head. Ultimately I chose a route of permanently attaching these Maple Scales.
The concealed hardware is bolts and nuts filled in with Epoxy mixed with Walnut sawdust. I wanted to add some more weight to the frame so I filled the gaps of the metal core with 1/4" steel balls. I feel that it also added numerous additional surfaces for the Epoxy to bond it all together. After a sanding into a 400grit I gave it an overnight bath in BLO and added Teak Oil just to see what would happen. After the frame dried I ran it though two applications of Tung Oil, then a wax and buff to even out that Hobo-Boxcar look.
I have learned a lot about myself during this remodel. Suffice to say that I honestly don't even want to look at this frame for awhile. I know it will shoot like a World Championship frame (because it is), but it will be a few full moons before we will dance.
If this re-model looks like it is something you have been seeking your whole life then send me a private message and I'll help you talk me out of it for a small monetary penalty. Cheers, Mo
521664d9fa0f071e7f2d1f8baf3e7327.jpg
4175776c63997316e62c11d586c1a2b3.jpg
47c309bd7facedbec5cee68f50c30faa.jpg
07fb40418f36e9605719cf44041cccb1.jpg
b18eefc79ddd00c3358c252619140547.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

See less See more
#27 ·
Mo! Wow great work with that Mo-Fo! Hard work paid off! Bro!!

SJAaz - I think these pegheads are only tied OTT. I have never seen one tied TTF before, but I could be wrong. Any who, here's a picture brotha, tied OTT.
Thank you C5. I would have thought that the edge of the peg would wear on bands.
I'd like to see a peg head banded up. Can't quite see how to tie'em without going OTT of those rather shape edges. Must be a way to tie TTF without having a big lump facing the target. Anybody got a picture?
No TTF on these. The sharp looking fork tips are machine just right and actually give a unique and clean siteline to the target.
2 1/4" C2C of the fork tips BTW!

A little smaller than I guessed. Could a fella stretch that out two 31/2 and still call it the same thing?
I think the Dankung LionMouth is about that exactly. I am not exactly sure what makes a Feihu a Feihu actually.

lionmouth. I've heard of those but don't recall seeing one.

#28 ·
Mo! Wow great work with that Mo-Fo! Hard work paid off! Bro!!

SJAaz - I think these pegheads are only tied OTT. I have never seen one tied TTF before, but I could be wrong. Any who, here's a picture brotha, tied OTT.
Thank you C5. I would have thought that the edge of the peg would wear on bands.
I'd like to see a peg head banded up. Can't quite see how to tie'em without going OTT of those rather shape edges. Must be a way to tie TTF without having a big lump facing the target. Anybody got a picture?
No TTF on these. The sharp looking fork tips are machine just right and actually give a unique and clean siteline to the target.
2 1/4" C2C of the fork tips BTW!

A little smaller than I guessed. Could a fella stretch that out two 31/2 and still call it the same thing?
I think the Dankung LionMouth is about that exactly. I am not exactly sure what makes a Feihu a Feihu actually.

lionmouth. I've heard of those but don't recall seeing one.
Do you remember Eldon77? He seemed to shoot his almost every day. He's been busy farming. I'm sure he'll be back with it in the Fall.
85727b2f391ce5adbf0aa3208f778b0b.jpg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.