Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Yes, I shoot it a lot. Works best with a light bandset since it doesn't have much weight. A light bandset like Sumeike pink will send it further downrange than a heavy bandset that for some reason causes it to swerve. I use it to pick insects off the walls and on pest monkeys (because I don't really want to hurt them).

·
Registered
605 Posts
I was using the baked pottery ammo. They shoot great, size is pretty consistent, and they are fairly durable. I might have to switch to the softer air dried mud ammo because I noticed the cinder block wall I shoot at was starting to sustain chipping damage.

·
Amateur
2,576 Posts
I shoot a lot of mud/clay ammo, .177 bbs, and 6mm airsoft. I've been shooting the clay ammo lately with .55 precise yellow and really enjoying it. I also use thin cuts of SS Black with good results. I find that if a bandset shoots one of the three well, it will also shoot the other three pretty well.

Using the .55 tapered 18mm - 12mm and around 190mm active length with a 36 inch draw, I have no problem getting them to penetrate aluminum beverage cans. I'm confident that I could take birds with this setup and a well placed head-shot, if I needed to.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I wanted to share some info on clay ammo. I have tried two different types of clay ammo. One is soft and one is hard. As it was explained to me the soft are air dried and the hard are baked. Both ammo types were advertised as 3/8 inch.

The soft will degrade into dirt rather easily either through impact or moisture.
The hard ammo is fairly water resistant and may survive some hard impact shots. I have had hard clay ammo survive a trip through the laundry when left in a pants pocket.

Impact on a hard surface with soft clay ammo will result in a dirt spot on the target. Impact on a hard surface with hard clay ammo will result in chips or in some cases a ricochet and the ball will remain partially or completely intact.

Average weight of soft ammo is 19 grains.
Average weight of hard ammo is 14 grains.
Average weight of steel ammo is 54 grains.

Average diameter of soft ammo is 10.102 mm.
Average diameter of hard ammo is 9.528 mm.
Average diameter of steel ammo is 9.49 mm.

In the photos you can see the spot on the wall where the soft ammo hit. In the dirt area in front of the wall you can see small chips of hard ammo and a few that remained intact. The ammo in the cups of water were left for about 40 minutes.

I was initially using the hard ammo but it started to damage the cinder block wall behind my spinner target so I switched to soft ammo. The soft ammo also appears to be quieter when hitting a target or jingling around in a pocket. If you're going to be in a very wet environment don't use the soft ammo because you will end up with a pocket of mush.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts