Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y'all - I first wrote about this as a replica of the last catapult I made in 1955.

But I have since found out that my 1955 design was 95 years older and dates back to around 1860, per Wikipedia:

"Slingshots depend on strong elastic materials, typically vulcanized natural rubber or the equivalent, and thus date no earlier than the invention of vulcanized rubber by Charles Goodyear in 1839 (patented in 1844). By 1860, this "new engine" had already established a reputation for juvenile use in vandalism."

Hence "1860 Victorian".

I already wrote about the Rustin's Danish Oil finish on the fork here:

https://slingshotforum.com/topic/112152-my-first-foray-into-wood-oil-on-my-1955-nostalgia-catapult/

The photos here show the finished 1860 Victorian. A walnut fork, square 4.75 mm rubber, leather pouch and straps, waxed flax twine.

The projectile shown in one photo is a 27mm diameter ice ball weighing 10.6 grammes - this is the only non-1860 and non-1955 bit, as I would not have had a freezer back then. The ice ball is an experimental deterrent - lobbed gently into my overhanging treetop, it should discourage 70 or so Starlings from roosting there and dropping guano all over my shed, without damaging them. Well, I hope so.

It might also be ideal for hunting Seals and Walrus in the Arctic (where stones can be hard to find), along with self-defence against Polar Bears.

How does the 1860 Victorian shoot? No idea - I last shot a catapult in 1955, and I was not very good then. I am a lot worse now. Must try harder.

Best regards,
Mike

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,228 Posts
Very well done, Mike. Wonderful to look at.

Reactions: mike160304

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Ive never seen tabs look that classy, very nice and uniform execution my friend. Excellent. :)

Sent using two thumbs and Tapatalk.

Reactions: mike160304
1 - 11 of 11 Posts