Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
10,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MXRed, who used to post here, sent me some nice veneer scraps to play with, so I thought I'd make a palmswell. Not wanting to use too much for my first project, I only used a piece of walnut from him, combined with a piece from a pine board I had. This is a scaled-down Chalice made of cheap plywood.

When slingshots are this small, palm swells make a huge difference. This fork could never slip from my hand -- the shape of it makes it feel soooooo comfortable and solid in my hand.

It ain't the greatest, I know, but I learned a little from this project, BTW, it is finished with 5 coats of gloss Helmsman's Spar varnish applied with my finger.

· Premium Member
2,320 Posts
Economically cheap, but that's about it on a first rate piece! Nice job.
Next time out applying Spar I'm going to do as you have
because you always seem to have such nice, smooth finishes on your SS's. I'll apply it the same way.

sean

· Premium Member
2,320 Posts
We don't need no stinkin' brushes!
You know... I'm beginning to think there's more truth to that than most realize. I know I'm pretty much done with them, seriously.

· Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
10,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you everybody. Your comments are much appreciated. I put some .04 latex on this this afternoon and let's just say I have a new favorite shooter!

· Registered
156 Posts
Looks like it fits really well. Have you considered putting a palm swell on your tournament sharpshooter design?
Thank you. I don't think a palm swell would help on the sharpshooter because the handle is to thin and straight.
[/quote]
I see. Haven't done any palm swells myself, but I was cutting out the sharpshooter in plywood a few days ago until my jigsaw motor stopped working, and I was considering adding one to see if it helped or not.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.