Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am waiting for a piece of English yew from Martin. I want to make an original design for this wood, which has a sort of mystical appeal to me. So I made this design and then produced a prototype in particle board just to see if it was feasible. Feels pretty nice in my hand. What do you think?

What do you think?

·
Registered
54 Posts
great work! particle board is repulsive though
hehe. the design is similar to pallan's PS series, but has its definite distinguishing characteristics. I am not familiar with english yew, but after a google search i an see the appeal! again, great work, and keep it up!

kyle.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
I like it! Then again...does it matter what *I* think? If it feels right and more importantly shoots right for you - *That* is what matters most! Can't wait to see what yew come up with on some 'real' wood.

·
11,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like it! Then again...does it matter what *I* think? If it feels right and more importantly shoots right for you - *That* is what matters most! Can't wait to see what yew come up with on some 'real' wood.
Yes, it does matter what you think, Skit. . . I respect your opinion and your work a lot, mi amigo.

·
Super Moderator
6,610 Posts
Nice design Bill! I always wanted to work one from Yew. It is supposed to be a real tight grained wood which is great for slingshots. Have fun carving her up! Flatband

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Yes, it does matter what you think, Skit. . . I respect your opinion and your work a lot, mi amigo.

[/quote]
<sigh> Thanks Bill (suck up
) ... I guide tools...you actually put the effort to the project and do incredible craftsmanship - big difference there.

I see : your fingers/thumb appear slightly straining- knock out @ 1/16" per relief. Small and critical I know...but I'd make em that much deeper. I know your hands are quite a bit 'meatier' than mine but that's what I'd change- I like it "as is" otherwise.

·
11,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
See? You're right, Skit, I'm gonna bring that curve in a little. And all the edges are going to be rounded off a lot more in the finished slingshot. sorta like you did in the Skit-2 (which I enjoyed shooting with again this morning). Thanks for the feedback, which is why I posted.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
See? You're right, Skit, I'm gonna bring that curve in a little. And all the edges are going to be rounded off a lot more in the finished slingshot. sorta like you did in the Skit-2 (which I enjoyed shooting with again this morning). Thanks for the feedback, which is why I posted.
hmmm, round em off before narrowing them much, then. That radius-ing may make all the difference, you can always narrow them down later. Funny you mentioned Skit-2... had the Oak fork out too! I needed to shoot "off side" and is the *best* ambi fork for me!

·
11,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, I agree... were you reading my mind? You wouldn't happen to be Norwegian, would you?

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
I like your new design too. Very nice. Looking forward to seeing the yew.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts