Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
My Altoids Tin Competition entry, "Curiously Strong", had very little gap between the fork posts and wide Theraband Gold flatbands, and I got fork hits/sky shots several times, and once is too much here in suburbia, it is too dangerous.

So I widened the fork gap and downsized the pouch and the rubber, fitting single 3050 tubes, accepting that my ammo would have to be downsized accordingly. I looked at some Chinese green 2050 tubes (not Dankung) but thought that their extra power would be better used on a bigger catapult.

I am making some clay balls, 3.5 grammes and 4 grammes - equivalent in weight to 9.5mm/3/8" and 10mm steel balls respectively - and I hope to try these shortly.

Three photo comparisons herewith - on the left is the original "Curiously Strong", and on the right is the altered version, "Curiously Altoid" [suggests "altered"].

So the Altoids Tin concept is still keeping me amused!!!

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Well done!

There is something "curiously compelling" about an Altoids tin. I remember once packing everything I needed into an Altoids Tin, for a weekend retreat with The Shoveler, Mr. Furious, The Bowler, The Spleen, and Invisible Boy. We had a few inter-personal issues to resolve and The Waffler asked us to reconsider his application (I was holding out for Ballerinaman, and The Spleen, of course, wanted The Waffler - but that is another tale for another time).

By hand-washing a few select garments each night, the Altoids Tin overnight kit saw me through. I will admit that I was very careful with my spoons during our training sessions. I could not fit my back-up set into the tin and it would not have been sporting to hide extras in my cape! This, of course, angered Mr. Furious, but then, what doesn't anger Mr. Furious?

The Spleen and Dr. Heller were so impressed that they started modifying an Althoids Tin into a non-lethal weapon. Mercifully, it never got out of the planning stages. I see a lot of Dr. Heller's influence in your work. He would be so proud!

·
Premium Member
3,229 Posts
I do love a good little gapper... I love pfs. But you are right. No safe for neighbirhood slinging.

M. Mo's gift and the birch ply frames I got from Tony the Slinger have been so fun to shoot... not worrying about forkhits. But today I slung a little pfs. It really required my undivided focus.

I really dig your work!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well done!

There is something "curiously compelling" about an Altoids tin. I remember once packing everything I needed into an Altoids Tin, for a weekend retreat with The Shoveler, Mr. Furious, The Bowler, The Spleen, and Invisible Boy. . . . . . . . . . .
Errrrrr . . . thank you. Probably my fault, but after "weekend retreat", I am sorry, but I have no idea what you are talking about.

Mike

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do love a good little gapper... I love pfs. But you are right. No safe for neighbirhood slinging.

M. Mo's gift and the birch ply frames I got from Tony the Slinger have been so fun to shoot... not worrying about forkhits. But today I slung a little pfs. It really required my undivided focus.

I really dig your work!
Thanks, looking forward to getting outside with it.

I must find a slow motion video of what actually happens with Over-The-Top catapults. Or I may try to shoot one. I suspect that the bottom of the pouch and ammo sometimes dips into the fork gap.

Mike

·
Registered
591 Posts
My riff (and my handle here) were inspired by the movie Mystery Men:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystery_Men
I've ordered the film from Ebay for £1.99 delivered, so I have not invested too heavily.

Blue Raja appears to have throwing forks, not spoons?

My "Curiously Altoid" catapult would be good in a film like that, complete with Altoids Tin. It could shoot 25mm ice balls, and the Hero would have to carry a coldbox to keep them cold.

Mike

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Spoons to start and then forks.

You could be "The Slinger" with different types of ammo that is supposed to handle different tactical situations (a remote camera, a rappelling line, a signal flare) but never quite works like it should.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Spoons to start and then forks.

You could be "The Slinger" with different types of ammo that is supposed to handle different tactical situations (a remote camera, a rappelling line, a signal flare) but never quite works like it should.
Yes, that sounds good.

I've seen the spoons and forks in the movie now, but I am watching it "in pieces", not all at once because of family distractions, so I am up to the recruiting event. I like the idea of Invisible Boy who is only invisible when no-one is looking.

Mike

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The new 16mm wide pouch was too thin and was starting to tear, and it was too narrow for my taste too, so I have replaced it with a more substantial pouch, 1.3mm thick and 20mm wide, and feel happier with that.

I can shoot the 8 gramme clay balls or the 10 gramme ice balls for fun when I want, but in practical terms, the 3.5 and 4 gramme clay balls seem to suit Curiously Altoid.

I am currently shooting it at up to 4x stretch, using a limiter cord like the one on Victorian 2018.

The pic shows the new wider and thicker pouch. Curiously Altoid is the smaller catapult on the right. :) :) :)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts