Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would try to make an arrow shooter after reading morks post. I drilled an 1/8 in hole at the top of the forks and ran a 1/8 steel rod thru them I also used a couple of wood feet for small boxs as arrow guides. I used one of my lexan over the top shooters. I used a bamboo arrow that wieghed 515 grains with no feathers I slipped a piece of tubbing over the end of the arrow to hang on to. I used suggestions from the forum the wood guides and the tubbing on the arrow.
I set up the slingshot with double bands a 1 inch and a 3/4 inch non tapered measured 6 inches from the fork to the knot. When I checked them on my scales they pulled 28 pounds at 32 inches. I found I could not pull to 32 inches gripping the pouch so I gripped the arrow itself then I could pull full distance with no problem. After shooting for a few minutes I set up the crono and did some testing. It is tough to get a good clean shot but when I did I was surprised I could get 125 feet per second with the 515 grain arrow. I think if you shoot the 250 grain arrow that chief aj shoots you could get some decent speeds. There are a lot of the old 45 pound self bows that shoot 130 feet per second and the owners were very pleased with them. After all this I will stick to my longbow for shooting arrows much more acurate.
You can see from the pictures I have one of chiefs fishing slingshots that I tested but I could not get over 111 fps with it. It is 9 1/2 inches from the pouch to the arrow rest where mine is only 7 inches maybe that made the difference.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Wingshooter,do you think you can hit a deer at 30yd.and get 15"of penetration like the chief claims?How many of your bows would get 15" at 30yds?My heavy recurves may shoot thru them if hit in the right place.
Your arrow of 515 gr and shooting 125fps is still only getting 17.87 foot pound of energy.Glad to see you are wise enough to stick with your longbow

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wingshooter,do you think you can hit a deer at 30yd.and get 15"of penetration like the chief claims?How many of your bows would get 15" at 30yds?My heavy recurves may shoot thru them if hit in the right place.
Your arrow of 515 gr and shooting 125fps is still only getting 17.87 foot pound of energy.Glad to see you are wise enough to stick with your longbow
Jay I would not even try. I have a self imposed limit of 20 yards if I can't shoot at twenty or under I don't shoot. I would not use a slingshot to shoot an arrow at anything.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wingshooter,I am glad you got to check your shooters speed and got results similar to mine.I hunt with a bow too.Like you I had alot of trouble aiming the slingshot while trying to shoot an arrow.
Even if the Chief shoots a 250 gr arrow and picked up some speed it would not make much difference.I call it diminishing returns.The lighter arrows shoot faster and flatter but have less energy and fall off quicker at greater distances.Heavy arrows are slower and arc more in flight but maintain their energy better over the same distance while leaving less room for error in judging the shots .
I did not know he used a 250 arrow.That is awful light do you know what size it is? Even using a nib how would he adjust for a hunting point? He says he uses muzzy's.So do I.The lightest available I think is 75 or 85 gr.

NICE LOOKING ARROW SHOOTER!

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,638 Posts
Good Job WS!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wingshooter,I am glad you got to check your shooters speed and got results similar to mine.I hunt with a bow too.Like you I had alot of trouble aiming the slingshot while trying to shoot an arrow.
Even if the Chief shoots a 250 gr arrow and picked up some speed it would not make much difference.I call it diminishing returns.The lighter arrows shoot faster and flatter but have less energy and fall off quicker at greater distances.Heavy arrows are slower and arc more in flight but maintain their energy better over the same distance while leaving less room for error in judging the shots .
I did not know he used a 250 arrow.That is awful light do you know what size it is? Even using a nib how would he adjust for a hunting point? He says he uses muzzy's.So do I.The lightest available I think is 75 or 85 gr.

NICE LOOKING ARROW SHOOTER!
Mork he has the take down arrow I don't know the specs on it. He sells a set of three arrows for the slingshot 27 inch 245 grain that takes screw in points I didn't see what make arrow it was. I agree thats to light. My target bow is a bamboo longbow 21st century that throws a 450 grain arrow at 145 fps very acurate but I would not hunt with it.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Wingshooter,I also like my bow shots close.10 to 15 yds.For some reason I killed more deer at 21yds than any other distance.I do a lot of still hunting,maybe that is the reason for the 21yd shots.Stand hunting I try to set up close.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.