Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I shoot the 12mm which weighs 7g, it goes fast and straight
But when I shoot 16mm which is more than double the weight, then it goes much slower for sure but what surprised me is that it doesn't go straight, it's like it's not precise at all and random

So it would mean, too heavy projectile for the bands result in bad accuracy.
Have you noticed this before?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 16mm is a poor match for your setup and therefore accuracy suffers. Doesn't matter if it's too heavy or too light.
I put my biggest tubes and my biggest pouch for that on a Rambone (= one of the biggest slingshot).
What I forgot to tell is that when I try to shoot 18mm rubber balls that weigh 3g, it is as good as the 12mm steel.
So it must be related to weight somehow!! because it's not related to diameter

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I shoot the 12mm which weighs 7g, it goes fast and straight
But when I shoot 16mm which is more than double the weight, then it goes much slower for sure but what surprised me is that it doesn't go straight, it's like it's not precise at all and random

So it would mean, too heavy projectile for the bands result in bad accuracy.
Have you noticed this before?
TBH.. It wouldn't really be the bands not being matched to the ammo.. You would still be accurate but see poor projectile drop over the same distance so you would have to hold over.. It could be that the 16mm balls are not fitting in the pouch as snug as the 12s...The shots could be bumping out of the pouch... I noticed this on a rig which shoots 6-8mm steel fine but when I switch to 10mm.. the pouch is too small to grip the balls and seat them perfectly in the center of the pouch.. I end up getting fork hits, and balls missing the target... It was definitely in my case, the pouch or my lack of being able to comfortably hold the ball in the small pouch..

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TBH.. It wouldn't really be the bands not being matched to the ammo.. You would still be accurate but see poor projectile drop over the same distance so you would have to hold over.. It could be that the 16mm balls are not fitting in the pouch as snug as the 12s...The shots could be bumping out of the pouch... I noticed this on a rig which shoots 6-8mm steel fine but when I switch to 10mm.. the pouch is too small to grip the balls and seat them perfectly in the center of the pouch.. I end up getting fork hits, and balls missing the target... It was definitely in my case, the pouch or my lack of being able to comfortably hold the ball in the small pouch..
this is possible, thanks for enlightening me

btw, I decided to hold the pouch like the great Bill Hayes does, even tho it's a bit harder and takes longer, I place it on the second phalanx. Why? because when I tried to shoot with 12mm balls during 30mn or 1h, it started hurting my fingers. Now it's better and more stable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts