Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
6,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone else is sharing their favourite air rifles so I thought I'd throw my two into the mix.

First one is a Webley Patriot.

Perhaps one of the most powerful spring guns on the planet pushing a 7.9 grain .177 pellets out at over 1170 fps for approx 24ft-lbs of energy.

I recently upgraded the spring to a Crossman Nitro Piston. I have not chronied it yet, but there is a substantial increase in power with this new set-up as well as all the other benefits a gas piston offers.

Secondly my Webley Jr. More a collectors piece being an original 1934 first production run model.

·
Super Moderator
10,991 Posts
I have still not decided whether or not I like the idea of the nitro piston. I have great confidence in springs, and in their longevity. On the other hand, I have the feeling that a gas piston is just bound to leak eventually. Anyone else got a view on that?

Cheers ..... Charles

·
Banned
6,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have still not decided whether or not I like the idea of the nitro piston. I have great confidence in springs, and in their longevity. On the other hand, I have the feeling that a gas piston is just bound to leak eventually. Anyone else got a view on that?

Cheers ..... Charles
Gas piston all the way !

• Maintains same velocity as the metal spring
  • Smoother cocking
  • Smoother shooting
  • No spring torque
  • No spring fatigue, even if you leave it cocked for hours
  • Functions perfectly in cold weather
  • Lasts longer than a metal spring

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sweet shooters Hrawk!
I have had a nitro piston now for 6 months. I must say, that I prefer it over a (untuned) spring gun. The cocking cycle is smoother compared to a springer. The shooting cycle is more predictable, with the force going forward, with little rearward recoil to eat your scopes too. And you can leave it cocked for a while without damage.

·
Super Moderator
10,991 Posts

Cheers ..... Charles
  • Lasts longer than a metal spring
[/quote]

Hmmm ... this is what I question. I have seen metal springers that are very old and still function quite well. I wonder if that nitro piston is going to last ... they have not been around long enough to have much in the way of empirical evidence. Gas seals are not known for longevity. What is the basis for the claim that the nitro piston will outlast the spring mechanism?

Cheers ...... Charles

·
Banned
6,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My previous Ford falcon had coil springs over gas struts. The springs needed replacing long before the struts did. (welcome to Australian roads)

The gas seal in my door closer would have to be at least 30 years old now.

And finally, those 'gas' seals seem to last fine when used in 12,000 psi pneumatic rams.

Would you consider the oil rings on a motor cylinder a gas seal too ? Plenty of cars have passed the million mile mark on an original set of rings.

Finally, if my nitro piston ever does give out, it gets replaced for free with the lifetime warranty it has.

·
Banned
6,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But hey, even if they didn't last longer, the performance gains far outweigh any perceived reliability issues.

·
Super Moderator
10,991 Posts
But hey, even if they didn't last longer, the performance gains far outweigh any perceived reliability issues.
As for the springs on your Falcon ... there are springs and then there are springs ... and there are different sorts of seals. Certainly my experience with automotive shock absorbers is that they give out wayyyy before springs do ... and I suspect that is probably the case for most automobiles. I have had to replace shocks but never had to replace a spring, and I am talking about trucks and vans on pretty brutal back roads and forestry tracks. And automotive brake seals usually give out long before the brake return springs. Pistons on hydraulic presses and such generally contain oil, rather than gas; and they often leak a little, which is no big thing in that context ... one can always top up the oil. And one can replace the O rings to overhaul a badly leaking seal. As for automotive engine pistons, there you have a different type of seal altogether ... generally an expanding metal piston ring moving inside of a metal cylinder, all coated with oil to help maintain a seal. And yes, they do begin to leak after a while because of the wear, giving loss of compression and power.

The "lifetime" guarantee is not much good if I am several hundred miles back in the bush ... or if the failure occurs in a survival situation.

Note, I am not saying those nitro pistons are unreliable. All I am saying is that I have not seen much evidence about the longevity of THOSE particular devices, and given what I have experienced about similar devices, I am not yet confident enough myself to lay out the bucks.

I do not mean to start an argument with you over this ... just giving an alternate point of view. I hope your nitro piston rifle holds up as you expect it to.

Cheers ...... Charles

·
Banned
6,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey mate, it's fine, I don't consider this an argument at all., simply a discussion on nitro pistons.

My above posts are simply me expressing my reasoning behind why I believe they are a good investment.

·
Prince of Paraprosdokians and Epistemophilia
2,565 Posts

Cheers ..... Charles
My friend Charles, you must try a Benjamin Trail NP .22! Powerful and relatively quiet. You can keep it "cocked" for an extended period of time (awaiting the game) in contrast to a spring loader - which is usually a rather noisy mechanism.

Did you like the book about Sleights of Mind????

Reactions: hoggy

·
Registered
32 Posts

Cheers ..... Charles
Just like a spring is bound to weaken by time I guess..
I've shot springers all my life before I switched partially to PCP, and to me nowadays, a PCP is the way to go. And the argument about springers beeing self contained is getting old as Swedish manufacturer FX has their Indipendence-model out now with an onboard pump + repeating magazine for those quick follow-ups a springer could never do.

But that Petriot sure is a beautiful rifle
And the pistol looks amazing, love Webleys products.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts