Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello shooters,

I was poking around the web looking for some fairly priced steel ammo in 6mm & 9-10mm, and to my dismay all I found was extremely expensive chrome bearings which I have no need more. I've got a decent supply of lead & I've got a mould coming, but I would like some bulk steel to have around as well. Curious where you guys are getting yours and what you're paying, shipping included.

Any links or info would be greatly appreciated!

-Chef

Reactions: hoggy

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I bought a bulk supply (40 or 45 pounds) from Royal Steel Ball Bearings a few years ago. They came in a basketball-sized box and I'm still gradually working my way through them. They have different sizes and their prices are best when you buy in bulk. Shipping cost around the same as the balls, but the total price was still a bargain when compared to buying small quantities. If you deal with them, be sure to specify that you're interested in "slingshot quality balls."

If you're a backyard shooter and using a catch box, you won't need a bulk supply like I bought. I shoot along local railroad tracks, so my ammo is one-time use and I need the bulk supply.

http://www.royalsteelballusa.com

·
Master of Swine Fu
2,737 Posts
Might not be much help to you, but I've never bought steel in my life. Every time i rebuild a gearbox or transmission at work I keep the bearings them cut them apart and take the balls out. Usually get about 200 a week. And all the other guys in the shop throw me there bearings Instead to the scrap bin!
cool use of resources.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I am pretty new to this. But I have seen 9mm for 20 dollars plus shipping for 1000 on Amazon. But I'm not sure if it is the best deal. But I did notice that bearings come in a lot of grades and it looks like the cheapest I found were listed as g1000 or grade1000. I hope that helps

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, yeah it seems like I just picked a crap time to get back into steel. Ill keep looking & see if anything else comes up thanks for your suggestions, @Lacumo Ill look into those guys as well thanks!

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Thanks guys, yeah it seems like I just picked a crap time to get back into steel. Ill keep looking & see if anything else comes up thanks for your suggestions, @Lacumo Ill look into those guys as well thanks!
If you need a bulk supply that's intended to last a long time, Royal was "the way to go" back when I bought my supply. Since I haven't bought steel BB ammo in several years now, I may be out of touch with todays market. That being said -- if you're a "one time use" ammo user, purchasing ammo in bulk is costly, but it's cheaper in the long run and definitely the way to go. If you're a backyard shooter with a catch box, you could probably make do for years on end with a supply of 100 BB's. Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
PGN and BC Trade om ebay. PGN has better pricing generally. Search for "utility grade ball bearings". Don't pay the premium for the non-existent "slingshot ammo"!

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Hello shooters,

I was poking around the web looking for some fairly priced steel ammo in 6mm & 9-10mm, and to my dismay all I found was extremely expensive chrome bearings which I have no need more. I've got a decent supply of lead & I've got a mould coming, but I would like some bulk steel to have around as well. Curious where you guys are getting yours and what you're paying, shipping included.

Any links or info would be greatly appreciated!

-Chef
BC Trade has 3000 3/8 for $48.65 on ebay.

·
So Many Marbles ------------- So Little Time ;-)
4,232 Posts
I buy my steel from PGN and when you buy in bulk, his prices are fantastic. email him is is a great guy and very fair.

My latest very big purchases were JUST before the Covid-19 situation started, so I lucked out.

As I see it I'm set with 3./8" steel till I'm dead !

wll

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
hmmm,i have always bought from Amazon,but i think i will look into these other sellers,thanks for starting this thread BPC,and thanks to you all who responded also

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
In these wonderful CCP-Virus times :cursin: , the key problem right now may be getting the delivery, but Aliexpress may be an option for you. 9 to 10 mm is quite expensive, but 8 mm is far cheaper and fine for target practice too:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32988963288.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.38021a15vGl1TO&algo_pvid=ea49c181-5862-4f13-be24-9bd73c03800e&algo_expid=ea49c181-5862-4f13-be24-9bd73c03800e-1&btsid=0ab6f81e15872876873008778e21a5&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

A visit to the local junkyard may pay dividends, as anything with wheels has ball bearings of varying sizes: you might just find something there. If all that fails, hex nuts do quite a nice job too...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts