Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,153 Posts
I wrap my forks in cloth, put them in a vise, tie a length of stout cord (Paracord 550) to each fork individually, and apply about 50 pounds of pull force. Others use a weight and lift it with the forks. It's much better to break a fork this way than at full draw.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,228 Posts
Woooooo!! Dross, my friend, that is a beautiful build. I could hust look at it for hours.

1st try?! I can barely wait to see what you do next.

Oh, and congratulations on figure out the image uploading. That took me a long while... eventually I had a teenager show me.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Woooooo!! Dross, my friend, that is a beautiful build. I could hust look at it for hours.

1st try?! I can barely wait to see what you do next.

Oh, and congratulations on figure out the image uploading. That took me a long while... eventually I had a teenager show me.
Thanks for the kind words. Desert ironwood is an interesting material. I didn't have to finish it at all. Not a drop. It was done by sanding up to 2000 grit sandpaper, and a light buffing with cotton on a dremel. Looks and feels like it has several coats of finish on it.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
I

Use the Attach Files Options to upload images from your computer.

Beautiful frame, but please do a strength test before shooting. I'm concerned about the grain orientation on the right side fork.
Thanks. How I do a strength test?
In addition to what Henry said, even if it has initial great strength, fractures can develop or be created. One of my first SS was akin to yours and I shot it a lot. Then one day in a shooting session I looked down and it was basically in two pieces. Never had a fork hit, perhaps I dropped it and the fracture was created and the stress of the bands finally made it come apart. Needless to say my heart dropped and nearly got a cold sweat thinking what the sharp edge would have done to my face had it let go on the next shot.

Board cuts are to be very cautious with.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I

Beautiful frame, but please do a strength test before shooting. I'm concerned about the grain orientation on the right side fork.
In addition to what Henry said, even if it has initial great strength, fractures can develop or be created. One of my first SS was akin to yours and I shot it a lot. Then one day in a shooting session I looked down and it was basically in two pieces. Never had a fork hit, perhaps I dropped it and the fracture was created and the stress of the bands finally made it come apart. Needless to say my heart dropped and nearly got a cold sweat thinking what the sharp edge would have done to my face had it let go on the next shot.

I appreciate all the good advice, and I hear the concern. I tested it and it seems strong. I guess it's a matter of taking the chance and always checking it before I shoot it. And I guess if I end up with a piece of jagged fork sticking out of my face, well luckily I wasn't all that purty to begin with. :)

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Excellent build thatbwood looks lovely!

Sent using two thumbs and Tapatalk.

Reactions: Tag

·
Super Moderator
5,153 Posts
I

I appreciate all the good advice, and I hear the concern. I tested it and it seems strong. I guess it's a matter of taking the chance and always checking it before I shoot it. And I guess if I end up with a piece of jagged fork sticking out of my face, well luckily I wasn't all that purty to begin with. :)
It's a beautiful frame, and if you want to shoot it, you might consider pinning the forks. There is a better explanation of how to do it on the Forum and if I have time I will try to find it, but basically, you drill a hole down each fork and insert a metal rod. This insures that even if the fork does break, it won't come flying back in your face. One of my early frames was a nice Mahogany board cut. I dropped it less than 2 feet onto the floor and one fork broke off.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
After shooting it quite a bit, it didn't fit my hand the way i thought it should. It felt blocky and too wide. I softened the angles and cut a bit out for my fingers. Now it fits me better than any slingshot I've ever held.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts