Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Premium Member
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a couple of weeks since Nathan, Ray, M J, and I collected a few forks at the Summer Nationals. Originally, I wasn't going to take any home, but they talked me into taking a couple. While the forks dried, I read everything I could to I had an idea oh what to do. Today I decided to try my hand and see what I could do. The grain is nothing fancy and the fork is fairly small, so there really wasn't much to do but get through the bark, sand and finish.

The wood is Osage. I sanded to 600 and so far, it has 2 coats of Danish Oil. I want to put at least 2 more coats on and then I will decide on a wax. I will post pics again when it is all done and banded up.

It isn't perfect, and there are things I should have done differently, but here it is... Musical instrument Wood Artifact Metal Wind instrument

Cigar Musical instrument Tobacco Gesture Wood

Human body Wood Artifact Natural material Symbol

Hand Wood Finger Thumb Nail

I would really like to hear some honest opinions and suggestions. I have another Osage fork that will be ready soon and I could use some help.

Thanks everyone.

Todd

Attachments

· Premium Member
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks LGD! Gonna be a few more days. It really does need at least one more coat of oil. I was thinking of trying some office band chains...will give me time to investigate them a little more.

· Premium Member
7,824 Posts
I don't see a single thing wrong with it!
Office bands work best (as much as they work at all...) on ringed (Dankung-style) slingshots or those with tabs. I wouldn't mess up this fine slingshot with them. I'd run 107s or other flats.
Looks great, though!

· Premium Member
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone for all the kind words.

Sofreto...Thanks...I wanted to very simple for my first one..

M_J....I was thinking of some paracord loops like you had, but I may hold off and try them on the bigger fork...and I do have some 107s on hand.

Andy...thank you very much...means a lot coming from one of the master craftsmen here.

Dayhiker...thank you...I'm hoping the grain will darken a little with time and handling.

Matt...thank you, sir.

WTBJR...thanks...we will see soon...the last coat of oil is on...just need a couple of days to dry completely and then its go time.

Blue Danube...thank you...I will have to check out leather latigo work....may be something for a future project.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.