Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well first ones this month haha .have a question for the wood guys I have 3 coats of finish on my champ but I am not fond of the stuff what can I use to seal other than ca doing ca is a pita any ideas ?.the champ is silver maple with yew scales last little pieces I had left from brook I had to use it all up and I think I done ok ????

Attachments

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
PB: I assume from your post that you are trying to seal the wood before final finish. Is that correct? Here is a medium that painters have used for years. 1/3 turp, 1/3 blo, 1/3 varnish. Mix all together and give it a few "spit coats" of that. Let it dry for a couple days before finishing. PS... Make sure your varnish is good, that stuff will go funky once in a while. Hope this was your question, if not just take it as the rumblings of an old man.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PB: I assume from your post that you are trying to seal the wood before final finish. Is that correct? Here is a medium that painters have used for years. 1/3 turp, 1/3 blo, 1/3 varnish. Mix all together and give it a few "spit coats" of that. Let it dry for a couple days before finishing. PS... Make sure your varnish is good, that stuff will go funky once in a while. Hope this was your question, if not just take it as the rumblings of an old man.
no I listen to what people r saying I am 44 learned long ago thanks for the reply I have 3 coats of that stuff in pic I am happy with the colour just the final seal is were I am at

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no I listen to what people r saying I am 44 learned long ago thanks for the reply I have 3 coats of that stuff in pic I am happy with the colour just the final seal is were I am at

·
Ray Rowden
2,650 Posts
Awesome work!

The oil is a good, protective finish. When I want more gloss and shine than oil provides, I reach for Tru-Oil, which is (I think) a commercial version of the combo previously mentioned.

And, of course, there's always clear rattle-can spray!

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome work!
The oil is a good, protective finish. When I want more gloss and shine than oil provides, I reach for Tru-Oil, which is (I think) a commercial version of the combo previously mentioned.
thanks I have varnish in a can and auto clear coat I don't know if the auto stuff works on wood I have bin wondering that I think I have read Drew used it before I am just fishing for ideas thanks for the input !

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know I hear the fellas talking about blo and beeswax I seen stuff for cutting boards just never really dipped my toes into anything other than the minwax tung and ca but I flat out hate ca takes more time to do it than make the frame and the smell is horrible

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know I hear the fellas talking about blo and beeswax I seen stuff for cutting boards just never really dipped my toes into anything other than the minwax tung and ca but I flat out hate ca takes more time to do it than make the frame and the smell is horrible

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Awesome champs! Sorry but I really know the least here about wood finishing. I just use danish oil, sanding the frame between coats, and in the end I use 3-4 coats of a special furniture wax, polish the frame, and call it done.
Keep in mind that everyone else is better at finishing wood than me though lol!

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow buddy that's some nice Champs! I've never seen one in stainless steel and that stainless steel and the silver maple is outstanding.
I've never done a ca finish so I can't help you there. Nice work my friend.
Thanks Joe I am ok with ca that little plinker u have is ca .ya not to many stainless champs kicking around

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Awesome champs! Sorry but I really know the least here about wood finishing. I just use danish oil, sanding the frame between coats, and in the end I use 3-4 coats of a special furniture wax, polish the frame, and call it done.
Keep in mind that everyone else is better at finishing wood than me though lol!
Hi bud ya finishing wood not my strong point either I have looked for danish oil but none around me guess have to go into the city very limited around me but thanks

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
Awesome work!
The oil is a good, protective finish. When I want more gloss and shine than oil provides, I reach for Tru-Oil.
Yeah, me too, Ray.

Tru-oul is awesome.

I start with saturating the wood with lemon oil. Then I use a couple of very light coats of Tru-oil. All the way dry in between. Then knock down the glare with 0000 steel wool, repeat til I like the feel of it.

The other finish I am competent with it is lemon oil and beeswax, many coats, and buffed.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
Awesome work!
The oil is a good, protective finish. When I want more gloss and shine than oil provides, I reach for Tru-Oil.
Yeah, me too, Ray.

Tru-oul is awesome.

I start with saturating the wood with lemon oil. Then I use a couple of very light coats of Tru-oil. All the way dry in between. Then knock down the glare with 0000 steel wool, repeat til I like the feel of it.

The other finish I am competent with it is lemon oil and beeswax, many coats, and buffed.

Reactions: 31610
1 - 20 of 23 Posts