Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I started my first custom slingshot this morning. It's sawed, then carved, out of pallet wood -- don't know what kind, but my guess is poplar. The board was rough-sawn, 1 inch thick and 3-11/16 inches wide. I carved in recesses for my finger and thumb; sorry if the detail is hard to see, I suck at photography.

Here it is with the tools used (I'm partial to using hand tools.)

Shooter's Side

Target Side

Side view with thumb groove

I will post more when it's finished. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
That's on its way to being a nice catty. It would look great smoothed and dyed with a coat of varnish or two.

Show us what it looks like in your hand. And tell us how it shoots.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Looks good so far. Like ZDP said, let us know how it shoots. What do you plan for bands?

·
11,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks good so far. Like ZDP said, let us know how it shoots. What do you plan for bands?
Well, I have some gum rubber sheet coming. Think I'll start with that.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think you should do some sanding, but you'll probably do that anyway. Aside from that, it has a great, ergonomic shape to it. Looks like a fantastic shooter.

·
11,245 Posts
Any suggestions?
I agree. Looks great so far. I'd lower the prongs a little (take maybe 1" off each one) to reduce wrist/hand strain, but that's just a personal preference.

Moras are great for woodworking, aren't they?

[/quote]

Okay, I will lower the prongs a little. And Moras are the cat's pyjamas.
In truth I could have carved the whole thing with just my knife -- be we gotta get on with our lives, don't we?

·
11,245 Posts
Looking good my friend

Sure would like to see the finished piece.
It doesnt seem that the fork height would be an issue , especially with the ergo fork grip.
IMHO.
Tom
Thanks, Tom.
Being pretty much of a neophyte about slingshot technology, I took pelleteer's advice, but met him halfway (since I never gave him any dimensions or a look at the thing in my hands, I left him to guess.) I took a half-inch off each prong and consider it an improvement (thanks, pelleteer
).

BTW, if I didn't comment on your two yet -- I really like 'em!

-- Cheers, Bill

·
Resigned
5,563 Posts
Poplar is a very good wood to work with. Aside from poplar and bamboo I would like to make one from Olive wood.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
[/quote]I agree. Looks great so far. I'd lower the prongs a little (take maybe 1" off each one) to reduce wrist/hand strain, but that's just a personal preference. [/quote]

I agree...lowering the forks will reduce recoil as well. Very cool you are 'hand shaping' too.

·
11,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Poplar is a very good wood to work with. Aside from poplar and bamboo I would like to make one from Olive wood.
Yes, indeed it is. Here it is sanded (still gotta cut the grooves and load the rubber).

·
11,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks, fellas. I will post again when it's done.

·
Resigned
5,563 Posts
Yes, indeed it is. Here it is sanded (still gotta cut the grooves and load the rubber).

[/quote]

Shaply poplar very nice. I love the natural look and feel of poplar. Very light weight and strong.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts