Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My slingshots came in this week, along with 3/8 ammo and some paper targets, and I built a backstop/catchbox out of 3/4" PVC yesterday. Today I set targets up and shot my slingshots for the first time.

Check out the attached picture of the targets. Today I was just trying to get a feel for these slingshots so I shot from only about 17 feet away (a little over 5m) and I'm using Reactive Splatter targets so I can see where I'm hitting and how far off my misses are. The hits circled in red are from shooting my Saunders Falcon 2 (I was aiming at the left target). The hits circled in blue are from shooting the Barnet Pro Diablo 2 (aiming at the target on the right). HUGE difference in accuracy, but seeing as this was my first day of shooting ever, I'm sure there's a lot of things to improve in my technique.

The biggest difference was the inconsistency in shooting the flatbands on the Falcon as opposed to the tubes on the Diablo. I got some really strong shots out of the Falcon (broke two sections of PVC when I missed the target and hit the stand) but I also had a lot of weak shots that just kind of limped out of the pocket and dropped below the target stand entirely (and the bands seemed to just go limp instead of making that satisfying snap). I haven't figured out what I was doing differently between shots on the Falcon. As you can see, the results from the Diablo were much more consistent - I think I only missed the target once, maybe twice.

My wife took pictures of me building the backstop, so later I'll put up a post about building it. It was a fun project, but I'll save that for another day.

I'd appreciate your comments and suggestions!
NETim

Attachments

·
No other shooting sport compares.
6,516 Posts
if you are using the 3/8th inch steel with the suanders bands then that explains it. The pouch on the Falcon is not designed for 3/8 inch and they fly right through the pouch, literally. So you will need to get aftermarket bands or soot bigger ammo with the falcon. If you get some bands from Tex and throw them on the falcon you will see the difference.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if you are using the 3/8th inch steel with the suanders bands then that explains it. The pouch on the Falcon is not designed for 3/8 inch and they fly right through the pouch, literally. So you will need to get aftermarket bands or soot bigger ammo with the falcon. If you get some bands from Tex and throw them on the falcon you will see the difference.
Absolutely spot on. Now that you explained that it makes perfect sense that the problem was the incompatibility of the ammo/pouch. Thanks a ton!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts