Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there, just completed a slingshot for my 8 year old son this week and wanted to share.
It's made of maple and uses red theraband for the bands.
I branded it using irons I made from paperclips and coated the unstained wood with water based poly urethane.
The pouch is from a broken commercial band.
The bands are tied with double constrictor knots using bow string serving thread.
I used light band's and a heavy pouch as I didn't want it to shoot too hard untl my son shows he is responsible with it (yea right, I know). Anyway I set it up to shoot air soft pellets. It shoots them very well and I was hitting pop cans with it at 30' so I'm real pleased with it.
"CASE" is my son's name. "AJS" are my initials. The "#1" is the serial number since I have already started four more slingshots. I really found the project fun and relaxing.
Hope you enjoy seeing it:
No1 Scale.jpg No1 Front.jpg No1 Back.jpg No1 Bottom.jpg No1 Top.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Thats a nice little slingshot, you could try a strap on the bottom so it fits round his wrist, just incase it come out his hand when he is pulling it back, he will be made up with that, jeff

·
Registered
855 Posts
Beautiful! That could become a really nice family heirloom.

Btw, I have an almost full spool of serving thread in my workroom, but it never occurred to me to use it for bands. I have a sheet of gum rubber coming in a few days that I'm going to make some bandsets out of. I'll have to give it a try on a couple sets and see how it goes. Great idea!

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
Here is what I have started doing to try and make the rubber last a bit longer than just tying it with string. It is 17-45 tube spread with snap-ring pliers and the rubber passed through once then through the pouch then back through the tube. One of the nice things is that you don't have to pre-stretch the rubber at the pouch as much. Just pull each side to take the stretch out. You can adjust it where it is just tight enough to not pull away from the pouch when you shoot, but not stretched more than needed. Really the string tie isn't necessary as the rubber tube holds it just fine. I just feel better with a little extra security from a medium tight string tie. I got the idea from Dankung who started doing it with their factory tube sets. Works really well, but of course it takes a bit longer, but not bad.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,137 Posts
Here is what I have started doing to try and make the rubber last a bit longer than just tying it with string. It is 17-45 tube spread with snap-ring pliers and the rubber passed through once then through the pouch then back through the tube. One of the nice things is that you don't have to pre-stretch the rubber at the pouch as much. Just pull each side to take the stretch out. You can adjust it where it is just tight enough to not pull away from the pouch when you shoot, but not stretched more than needed. Really the string tie isn't necessary as the rubber tube holds it just fine. I just feel better with a little extra security from a medium tight string tie. I got the idea from Dankung who started doing it with their factory tube sets. Works really well, but of course it takes a bit longer, but not bad.
Thanks, Smitty. Now I have a use for those snap ring pliers I bought 10 years ago, just before I sold my Mustang 5.0

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
That's beautiful. The name on the side will fill him with pride. It also means he can't fling it into a bush if he breaks a window. I once saw a bloke playing with golf balls with someone else's name on it. He said it was cheaper than liability insurance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for all the nice comments guys. I was definitely trying to make something he'll treasure long after I'm gone.

Shot in the Foot, I did consider a wrist thong but decided against it because the band pull is really light. I can always add it if necessary.

Smitty, thanks for the tip on tying the bands, I can see how that would extend their life. Where can you get 17-45 tubing?

Jim, The LC is a joke about Lewis Center I have going with my friends, but I'm very familar with Lancaster. I grew up in Canal Winchester and dated a girl there. You from the area?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts