Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend that I converted to slingshots gave me two tree forks which he wouldnt go into the trouble in turning into slingshots.
I always wanted a natural, so I went into making one!

Guys......this is HARD! It takes so much time just to give it a basic shape, and I am still not even halfway into sanding it after 3-4 hours. This process does make one greatly attached to the frame!
Its so much more enjoyable than board cuts!

I have no idea what kind of wood it is, only that it is harder than steel ???? Anyone go an idea what it is?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Skropi

Do you have berry bushes where you live? Like current, gooseberry, choke cherry ect? I went out and looked at my unused pile of forks and choke cherry seemed close on the outside. But that grain going up and down.... I think it might be a fossilized pterodactyl bone! If so, I'll trade you for a amazing piece of sagebrush from the high desert of the rocky mountains.

·
SLING-N-SHOT
4,444 Posts
A friend that I converted to slingshots gave me two tree forks which he wouldnt go into the trouble in turning into slingshots.
I always wanted a natural, so I went into making one!

Guys......this is HARD! It takes so much time just to give it a basic shape, and I am still not even halfway into sanding it after 3-4 hours. This process does make one greatly attached to the frame!
Its so much more enjoyable than board cuts!

I have no idea what kind of wood it is, only that it is harder than steel Anyone go an idea what it is?
Kind of looks like Oak grain to me Skropi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We are at the third application of Danish oil now! Tomorrow it will get one more, and then it'll get waxed.

Kawkan, I discovered that making naturals is completely different than boardcuts! With the natural fork I felt no need for absolute symmetry, so I had way more fun making it! I just spent my time bringing it to comfortable dimensions, and absolutely enjoyed keeping the general natural shape intact!
Its definitely not easier than a boardcut, but it is a completely different approach. I didnt care for nothing except natural beauty and appearance, and that's a feeling you simply cannot get when using birch ply!
I even came to like the "boring" oak grain ????

Attachments

·
Registered
772 Posts
I've got that battery charger great looking frame mate!!!! Looks like it should be mounted to that plate and used as a stunning centre piece..... after you've shot it a great first of course haha

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've got that battery charger great looking frame mate!!!! Looks like it should be mounted to that plate and used as a stunning centre piece..... after you've shot it a great first of course haha

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Tomorrow it will get to shoot its first spinners ????

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Beautifully made natural!!! Hey, you should be able to find a few olive forks to work with I think? Olive wood is beautiful... Making naturals might just be your thing!!! Looking forward to more Skropinattys

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, right when I decided that I dont like building very much, those natties arrived and made me realize that making naturals is absolutely enjoyable!
What I like about it is that I am not working against the wood, like with boardcuts, if you get my drift, but I am actually letting the natural fork guide me and let it decide how it will come out!

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Beautifully made natural!!! Hey, you should be able to find a few olive forks to work with I think? Olive wood is beautiful... Making naturals might just be your thing!!! Looking forward to more Skropinattys
I already tried to find some suitable olive forks, but failed. Now that I know how much I like naturals, I will search more diligently!

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good looking natural. They are sooo addictive. Nice job
Thanks Joey! The last coat of Danish oil is drying up now. It should be good to go in 6-7 hours!
Them natties are way more addictive than I imagined! It probably has to do with our mind and aesthetics conforming to them, instead of the other way around!

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great looking naturals Skropi, congrats on catching the building bug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I always had the bug, but board cuts were very boring to make. Naturals, on the other hand.....are pure enjoyment!

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, let me ask. How the heck do we peel a natty, the easy way? I use rasp and file, and its really really hard!
Oh, no power tools allowed, as I dont want electricity to touch my natties ????

1 - 20 of 25 Posts