Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...

Just finished my first slingshot. A smaller PFS with a semi-palm swell. Materials are Cedar sandwiched between two pieces of Redwood.

I put bands on it and the first shot hit the fork. :panic: After that I got my technique down and followed it up by dropping it on the concrete. Oh well, wasn't meant to be a closet queen anyway but wished I would have snapped the photos before that happened.

So without further ado, here's my first.....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Wow... very nice craftsmanship! Looks very comfortable to hold on to...

My first ever homemade PFS took a few hits too! But I was kinda expecting that to happen because I had never shot a PFS and was curious to try it. I managed to lessen the dents by letting the spots absorb some water then applying heat with a very hot hair dryer while wet (wish I had heat gun though). That caused the fibers to swell back up almost perfectly. A little sanding and refinishing and I was happy.

Oooh... You might also want to try a "gapper" (basically a PFS with a 1"-1.25" gap)... they're a lot more forgiving!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is a beauty.

Is it Arber's design?
No, I just drew it on a folded piece of paper and my wife has one of those 'light boxes' for tracing so I was able to get it symmetrical. I don't have a printer anymore so I haven't bothered going through the templates too much other than Dgui's design so I could get a feel for about how big I should make it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow... very nice craftsmanship! Looks very comfortable to hold on to...

My first ever homemade PFS took a few hits too! But I was kinda expecting that to happen because I had never shot a PFS and was curious to try it. I managed to lessen the dents by letting the spots absorb some water then applying heat with a very hot hair dryer while wet (wish I had heat gun though). That caused the fibers to swell back up almost perfectly. A little sanding and refinishing and I was happy.

Oooh... You might also want to try a "gapper" (basically a PFS with a 1"-1.25" gap)... they're a lot more forgiving!
Great advice. I never thought about repairing it other than sanding it down. I'll have to give that a go and see if I can get the same results. Thanks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sweet little rig and I have a feeling it's not going to be the last one u build pfs is fun way to shoot once u get on to it have u tried lashing so tubes on to it tubes work really well on that style of pfs
I'm putting a cart together for an order of tubes for that very reason. I've never really shot tubes before.. well since I was a kid shooting a 'wrist rocket'. I watch Dgui videos with a lot of envy for his abilities. He shoots tubes on a pickle fork, so now I have to try it myself.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts