Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
OK, having sat around for two months and drooled over the pieces of art that you guys produce I figured it was about time for me to get off my keister and start building!

So I sat up way to late designing my first boardcut SS. To begin I decided to keep it real simple and start with a classic design ... The Wham-o Sportsman. Unable to leave well enough alone, I started fiddling around with it and came up with one my own (not terribly original, but it is mine)!

Computer Personal computer Computer desk Output device Drinkware

Rather that glue these to the board I just printed them out on card stock and traced them to the board with a sharpie.

Wood Gesture Finger Musical instrument Thumb

Next I drilled between the forks and did the cut out with a jig saw.

Wood Flooring Floor Finger Pneumatic tool
Shoe Pneumatic tool Handheld power drill Wood Hand tool

Here are the rough cuts.

Wood Hardwood Font Metal Carmine

Before I start sanding I have two questions:

1 - I want to band these with 107's through a slot for TTF shooting. Do you prefer the double slots - like on the Sportsman, or do you like a single single slot with bands passing outside the fork?

2 - Still a bit premature, but what do you guys like for a finish on 3/4 ply? ("Type of Finish" might make a good poll question...it would be interesting to see what folks use).

Thanks. Been fun so far & I expect it to be more so.

-Dawg

Attachments

· Premium Member
5,065 Posts
if you use 2 slots you always have more options, as far as finish, wow thats such a huge question, anything from bee's wax for a more natural look or all the way to poly's if you want a more refined/polished look, depends on how you want it to look.

· Premium Member
2,320 Posts
Hey Dawg,

Nice job for your first time out, looks like you have it well in hand.

I made a Wham-o replica a couple of months ago and have banded it with 107's. I did the double slot, and the one thing I found is that
the bands do slip a bit on mine with the double slot feature. Next time around when I decide to use the slot method for TTF shooting I
will be going with a single and use a wooden match stick to cinch it down.

As far as finish is concerned it's very subjective, especially with a plywood. You can go the stain route to give it color, or an oil so that
if it gets scuffed up all you have to do is re-apply a coat or two. Of course poly varnishes are also popular as well as CA glue finishes.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I was thinking I would try poly for my first go. Plywood is not my favorite to work with but seemed like a better option than learning on my good boards.

Maybe I'll go double on the Wham-o and use a single on the BigDawg. Time will tell!

· Philly
2,460 Posts
Hey Dawg, don't know if you have a Harbour Freight near you but they have a set of Drum sanders that attach to a drill that makes fast work of contouring your edges and getting rid of saw marks. I think the set( 3 sizes) is less than $10, I paid $20 something for one a while back but it uses sheets that you cut and wrap around and into a key slot. The ones at HF use tubes that cost a little more. Nice work on your first project.
Philly

· Yeah I'm a predator ... so let's go huntin
188 Posts
Hey guys, to keep bands from slipping on the double slot I loop a piece of tubeing, thru the slotsI use Tex's tubes, but 17/40 will work too... then just cut it flush and it works great...
Kip

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Philly - Thanks for the tip, but no Harbour Freight. I have a dremel that I'll use on this project, but I'll keep an eye out.

@Kip - Thanks ... Curious, why would a double slot slip and a single wouldn't?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.