Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a couple of days off to go moose hunting. I didn't see any moose, but as I tromped through the swamp headed for a small (dry) rise of land between the two bogs I could hear some sandhill cranes in the bog beyond the rise.

I left my rifle and pack in the black spruce on the rise and slowly crept to the edge of the tree line.

There they sat; 9 birds, all flocked up getting the last lowbush blueberry feast in before flying south for the winter. I waited, and waited..... Annnnd waited.

Eventually, they migrated my way slowly grazing as they went. I had hoped they would, low bush blueberries get bigger in the slightly drier ground where swamp ends and hills start.

20, 15, 13, yards and closing. My hands were cold and adrenaline had me shaking like the aspens I was huddled under, but I didn't want to take my flip out of my pocket until I had to. I don't know how these bands will handle the cold and I want every ounce of bang I can get. These are big birds!

At 12 yards the 3 foot tall grey and brown dinosaurs stop and feed. I slowly pull my slingshot and a ball out of the pocket of my wool Adirondack hoodie put the ball in the pouch and freeze....There are so many eyes staring right at me. The cranes have not spooked but they know something is not right.

The leaders of the flock move to the right putting distance between us, I assume the rest will follow their lead and they will cross in front of me at 12-13 yards. I wait for a window where my movement is unlikely to be seen: I draw.

Two seconds later a young crane walks into view. From my perspective he is all neck and head. I breathe out to steady my hand and release.

Thwack! The sound of steel hitting meat and bone is loud and clear as the crane crumples. The rest look at it and move on unoffended by the incident. I reload in hopes of gathering my seasonal limit of 2 sandhill cranes, but they never come back and I do not try to chase them down.

As I approach the prehistoric pterodactyl- like bird I am blown away by it's size and beauty. the grey and brown blend perfectly to hide it in the tundra, the giant primary wing feathers will be excellent waterproof fletching for my arrows and the meat on these birds is incredible! This is not the first crane I have killed, but it is the first with a slingshot and the first so up close and personal.

The killer bee has stung again. .66 burning skull, 1 in to 3/4 in taper 500% stretch. Shooting 7/16 steel. 12-15 yard shot. Lower head.
Ribeye of the sky for the next couple dinners!!

Reptile Grass Tail Grass family Terrestrial animal

MSturm

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice shooting. I never ate crane. I know they are big but is there much meat on them? We get a load of them in the fields near here but the land is so open there is little chance to get that close for a shot. Unfortunately we can't hunt anything here with a slingshot anyway so I won't be trying.
Each breast is about the size of a large steak, and we slow cook the leg meat down so you can shake it off the bone and tendon. A crane makes for about 5 meals for my family.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts