Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I decided to try the lamination method, in order to make use of the remaining exotic wood pen blanks.

So I made a block from four of these 20mm x 20mm blocks, from Amaranth, Amerello, Zebrano and Rosewood.

In order to highlight the beauty of the wood, I decided to make a very simple fork, from stainless steel of course.

I think it came out pretty good! Feels wonderful in my hand, maybe because the handle is just like a file grip, a tool I dearly love and use very often.

The wood is just polished, no laquer, no staining. I just think polished wood feels great in the hand.

Greetings

Jörg

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Very pretty! I will bet that it will shoot well also. -- Tex

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
I like this one even better than your other similar one.

BTW, that belt sander abrasion on your thumb looks painful.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BTW, that belt sander abrasion on your thumb looks painful.
I don't own a belt sander. The blue streaks on my thumbnail are the remainings from a very painful hit. I made a slingshot pistol (chinese style) a while ago, a failure. It works in general, but if you want power, you need real thick bands as they have to be very short. While "cocking" the pistol, the pouch slipped from my fingers and the ball hit my thumb. I thought it was broken, and it was terribly sore for two weeks.

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
I like this style you've come up with using stainless and hardwood. Looks sleek and very strong to last a lifetime.

·
Super Moderator
6,606 Posts
As usual, great looking fork Bud! Love the exotic wood and blending it with steel- all metals for that matter. It just makes for an interesting and stronger piece!
Flatband

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Beautiful as always.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Now thats a nice looking sling! is it heavy? Compared to the fenix sizewise and so on? similar ore different?
Same fork width as the Poenix, but the handle is a little shorter. It weighs 300 gramms complete with bands.

I think that is pretty much the ideal weight for a slingshot. The lighter ones are simply less stable, at least that is my impression. Much heavier slingshots tire you out too quickly.

Jörg

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Now thats a nice looking sling! is it heavy? Compared to the fenix sizewise and so on? similar ore different?
Same fork width as the Poenix, but the handle is a little shorter. It weighs 300 gramms complete with bands.

I think that is pretty much the ideal weight for a slingshot. The lighter ones are simply less stable, at least that is my impression. Much heavier slingshots tire you out too quickly.

Jörg
[/quote]

How does the 'Lucky Seven' compare?

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Why's light weight a problem? For me, the lighter the better, as long as it has sufficient thickness to grip and guide the bands over.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For me, a very light slingshot is harder to be held steady after the release of the pouch.

I have two identical designs, one from steel tube and one from Carbon, and I am a lot more accurate with the steel one.

That may be valid for me only! I am not generalizing this in any way.

Jörg

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
That's interesting. Maybe I should try some heavyweight shooters and maybe even some stabilised frames.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here is the video:

The new slingshot looks very simple, but it is well thought out. It can shoot a .38" (9,5mm) steel ball at almost 180 mp/h (79 meters per second), with a pull that is so easy even a pre-teen boy could draw it out. Pure efficiency.

Different bands are tested as well, showing that heavier bands only make sense for heavier ammo.

At the end of the video, you can find the details for another drawing - 2 "Cougar" slingshots will go to the lucky winner (drawing will happen on June 1st, 2010). Details in the video!

Jörg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts