Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening slingshot enthusiasts!

I am writing to you in search of answers. I am looking to use a slingbow to hunt waterfowl with, specifically the sandhill crane. I have not yet purchased a slingshot to do this with, I want to invest in what is arguably the most powerful device available. I do not want all the bells, lights and contraptions several of these 'hunting' slingshots have to offer, I want a solid device with unmatched power and accuracy that will bring my prey down with the utmost efficacy. In other words, I want a hard material contraption and POWERFUL bands. I don't need flashlights or frickin' laser beams LMAO

Unfortunately, when I Google 'most powerful hunting slingshot' I'm given search results of reviews that seem to have been paid for. I might be ignorant, but a single yellow band Daisy B52 doesn't seem like the kind of device to have earned the designation of being the number one contender for a hunting slingshot. I'm trying to bring my prey down as quickly and humanely as possible, not piss it off and/or maim and wound it.

My research has brought me to two devices I'm somewhat content with investing in. I'm going to link them, they are both named 'Hammer' devices, however, one site does not allow me to purchase their products, as when I click the link of the package I'm interested in, it takes me to a page that does not exist. That site is https://hammerslingshot.com/the-hammer-slingshot/

The other device I'm interested in is something called the V-Series High Power Hunting Slingshot, and I haven't yet tried to purchase it, but here is the link https://www.hammersurvival.com/products/v-series-high-power-slingshot

Are these two devices capable of bringing down waterfowl? Now do keep in mind I'm looking to convert the device into a contraption that shoots arrows, but as I've said, I don't need nor do I want to purchase something with impractical options like lasers and flashlights.

If you can help me pinpoint my search to a device that is a God amongst slingbows, I'm open to other suggestions. Please help me find my friend. Thank you.

·
Registered
496 Posts
With any slingshot, you can successfully hunt birds, the shape and appearance of the slingshot is not important, what is convenient for you is good. It is important to use traction and shells appropriate for the object of the hunt.
However, from your post, I realized that you are completely new to slingshot shooting. Therefore, I recommend that you first learn to hit the target, and only then try to hunt. The bird must be clean, wounded are unacceptable.

·
Super Moderator
6,124 Posts
LOL - the whole 'Dennis the Menace' thing still gets me :)

Growing up with more of a British influence - my understanding of DtM is way more negative - definitely not a character to want to be likened too. Unlike the US character who is a lovable kid next door...

ironically even though they share the same name - they had absolutely nothing in common - 2 different artists in 2 different parts of teh world who happened to choose the same name for their cartoon. Go figure.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Simple-Shot Hammer is you want a wrist brace option (you can shoot it w/out the wrist brace - very simple to put on or take off)

Pocket Predator SERE if you do not want a wrist brace (no wrist brace option at all). Pocket Predator also sells a plate that converts a wire framed slingshot to a slingbow.

A+ Slingshots had some very innovative slingbows - but is no longer in business. With some internet sleuthing you can research the different models and post a want ad here or go searching on Ebay. A+ slingshots and slingbows are offered for sale every so often.

Don't bother with Marksman's slingsbow it is worthless.

Check out the slingbow forum here.

Question - why a slingbow? There are some very good take-down recurves available now for a very reasonable price.

Reactions: Reed Lukens

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They just have more versatility than something that is only capable of shooting arrows. I want to be able to harvest small game on the fly if I'm not out actively hunting for them while I'm fishing. It's more portable and discreet than something I'd have to wear around my body. I will probably have to invest in a bow tbh, as the local game hunting regulations in Canada prohibit me from from using anything other than a big boomstick, or a simple bow and arrow. I'm not sure if slingshots fall under the umbrella of what is classified as a bow and arrow, but oh well lol

Plus, good bows are usually within the price range of $300 - $500 and up, I could get a cheap one for $100 - $200 but I kind of like the thought of only having to pay $200 for something that can shoot multiple types of ammunition. I'm pretty broke right now, so the thought of being able to hunt for good food and possibly resell it is kind of alluring lol

And also. I found a different slingshot/slingbow I'm kind of more interested in purchasing, can anyone tell me if they'd recommend the products from this site? https://www.chiefaj.com/

·
Super Moderator
6,124 Posts
Still think the SS Hammer is the way to go. Its definitely on my list for exactly the same reason. Know some members were looking into arrow hunting with it - some fish, shoots regular bands and its all quick-detachable....

The other option I've been looking into is an Airbow - Crosman Javelin looks amazing...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still think the SS Hammer is the way to go. Its definitely on my list for exactly the same reason. Know some members were looking into arrow hunting with it - some fish, shoots regular bands and its all quick-detachable....

The other option I've been looking into is an Airbow - Crosman Javelin looks amazing...
Holy f*ck dood, what kind of weapon would that classify as? A crossbow or a rifle? An air rifle? Wtf

·
Registered
850 Posts
Like a number of folks here, I am also an archer. My wife and I taught recreational archery for years. I also bow-hunt grouse. My hunting buddy carries a .22 pistol and I carry a Pocket Predator Hathcock Target Sniper.

I understand good arrow flight. I tried several slingbows, thinking that it would be cool and convenient for hunting. Other than A+ Slingshots (which is no longer in business) the simplest and least expensive bow does a better job of launching an arrow than a slingbow does. With a 200 budget, you can get a Samick Sage clone, some arrows and still have enough $ left over for any slingshot from Pocket Predator or Simple-Shot.

I personally would not buy anything from Chief AJ.

As a final thought, a lot of us have kids/grandkids/nieces/nephews/ and godchildren that hang out with us on the forum. If the mods have not pointed this out, please watch your language.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Like a number of folks here, I am also an archer. My wife and I taught recreational archery for years. I also bow-hunt grouse. My hunting buddy carries a .22 pistol and I carry a Pocket Predator Hathcock Target Sniper.

I understand good arrow flight. I tried several slingbows, thinking that it would be cool and convenient for hunting. Other than A+ Slingshots (which is no longer in business) the simplest and least expensive bow does a better job of launching an arrow than a slingbow does. With a 200 budget, you can get a Samick Sage clone, some arrows and still have enough $ left over for any slingshot from Pocket Predator or Simple-Shot.

I personally would not buy anything from Chief AJ.

As a final thought, a lot of us have kids/grandkids/nieces/nephews/ and godchildren that hang out with us on the forum. If the mods have not pointed this out, please watch your language.
Okay, my apologies.

Since you have kids and are familiar with archery, do you think you can recommend me a bow that looks similar to the one used in a video game called the Legend of Zelda? It's called the Hero's Bow and it looks like this

Hero%27s_Bow_111.png

It doesn't have to be EXACTLY like that, but just similar if at all possible. Something for a first timer that is easy enough to use to hunt waterfowl with and can be used to hone my shooting skills until I'm ready and able enough to move onto something a little more powerful.

I looked at that model you suggested, I couldn't find a model called a Samick Sage clone, there was only this model that popped up, would it suffice for what I want? It isn't recommended for novices though, of course I'm willing to practice with it until I can make my shots if necessary

https://www.canadaarcheryonline.com/products/samick-sage-takedown-recurve-bow

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Samick Sage or PSE Nighthawk at 35 lb. draw. You will have to find local help to determine arrow length, spine and point weight but you will probably need 1816 aluminum arrows with 100 gr. points. Too many variables to try to coach via messages. You will also need an arm guard and either a glove or tab. Have an experienced shooter show you how to string/unstring your bow, set brace height and nock point. You will most likely get poor arrow flight in the beginning but without an experienced archer nearby you won't know what part is your technique and what part of the previous needs to be changed.

·
Super Moderator
6,124 Posts
In fact I'd highly recommend joining a local club for archery - esp. in the beginning. They'll have bows to try out and would help you get your form sorted. You'd be surprised how much power even light draw bows have - and its REALLY a good idea to get the safety aspect down early on.

I'd recommend a Ragim Impala (its in the same league as the Sage or Nighthawk) - 35lb is a good starting weight - and with any of these bows limbs are available to take it up to a full hunting rig.

Also check with your local laws as to any restrictions as to hunting with bow and arrow... UK its illegal. South Africa has restrictions as to game / kinetic energy etc.

In fact I started bowfishing before it was a thing and had to have both an angling licence as well as a spearfishing licence. Angling didn't cover shooting fish with an arrow/spear and spearfishing the device could only be loaded in the water... Having both supposedly would cover me either way...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.