Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, just wanted to share with you some pics of my latest build. It is a natural frame carved out of a spalted oak fork. I am still applying the final coats of oil but it's pretty much complete.

This is the fork how I found it, it already was very symmetrical and the right size

Plant Cat Wood Felidae Gesture

After removing the bark some good spalting appeared

Natural material Wood Botany Gesture Terrestrial plant

After carving...

Wood Natural material Plant Grass Woody plant

...and sanding

Wood Human body Gesture Finger Natural material

Now I am applying some oil finish

Joint Hand Wood Gesture Finger

I will upload some pics of the finished product as soon as possible! I plan to shoot 8/10 mm lead balls with it.

Attachments

·
SLING-N-SHOT
5,516 Posts
that is a very nice and symmetrical fork, that turned out GREAT...........I've had my eyes on a pile of Oak branches

for about a year now, that I need to gather up one day, especially if any come out half as nice as this one did.

I also love the Mora carving knife..........looks like maybe the #120 ?

Love my Mora carvers..........have the 120, the 105, and even bought the little plastic red handled one that is specific

to mushroom gatherers.........comes with a little nylon bristle built into it to brush dirt off the shrooms, but I cut that piece off

and just kept the blade / handle part.

·
SLING-N-SHOT
5,516 Posts
Now that is a nice job on a nice piece of wood. You have this natty thing down pat.

PS: Do you like that knife? Anything you would change?
Steve, you can't go wrong with any of the Mora carving specific knives, they are fantastic, but I think my favorite is the

#105 as it has little ridges at each end of the handle, giving a bit more secure grip than the #120 does....IMHO

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Now that is a nice job on a nice piece of wood. You have this natty thing down pat.

PS: Do you like that knife? Anything you would change?
Steve, you can't go wrong with any of the Mora carving specific knives, they are fantastic, but I think my favorite is the

#105 as it has little ridges at each end of the handle, giving a bit more secure grip than the #120 does....IMHO
Darrell...Thanks for the input. Just looking at these small blades. I'm getting the urge to fire up the forge, but it's a waste of time if I don't know what blade/ handle combo and taper the carvers prefer. Seems like a thin spine and a long taper EQ/W a man sized handle is leading the pack right now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you everyone for the kind words, yes the knife is a Mora 120 and in my opinion is perfect for carving slingshots. It's not a knife for detail work obviously but if I wanted to I could even skip the sanding process and just use the knife to finish the fork. I have carved some slingshots or other wood stuff also using my dremel but nothing beats beeing out in the woods, sitting on a rock and carving with just a knife.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.