Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
So Many Marbles ------------- So Little Time ;-)
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got up early, went to work and unwrapped a sling that @MIsling sent me in a trade. I must say MIsling did a very, very nice job of wrapping the fork and i may rethink how I do mine after seeing what he did !!

I ripped it apart and redid her as fast as I could and my redone version is below.

Trade%201%20Cheapo%20Desert%20Floor%20sm

She is dressed in black and is using looped #303 tubes, with an active length of about 6.25" for my 32.5" draw ---- about 525% elongation factor.

Got out to my shooting spot and let the 3/8" ball bearing fly, and they flew pretty darn good. I may change to the 1/4od single tubes as I don't get the pouch going between the loops on rebound which is a bit of a pain. The 1/4od is also a bit easier to pull back but has a little less speed as I just shot both side to side (there is a ying and yang to everything). I will decide later on as I may just change the pouch on this sling as the one on it now is really not to my liking.

Will be out early tomorrow to shoot it again, I don't know what it us but this frame fits me like a glove. Thanks MIsling !!

wll

·
So Many Marbles ------------- So Little Time ;-)
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Took my new sling out after putting on a new micro fiber pouch that was heat formed to my 3/8" ammo and was shooting great. Started out shooting a bit low but that was my fault, my anchor was earlobe high NOT below the earlobe and on the cheek where it should have been. I was not getting the occasional flyer that I was getting yesterday, I think that pouch was to floppy/long and the ammo was not seating well.

After a bit of shooting I switched to a Cheapo with looped "New Formula" 1842's. That set has about 1/2 inch more static length but came to the wall just a tad SHORT of my draw length till it finally worked in after about 20 shots or so. This stuff has a wall unlike the Kent tubing,, The Kent just gets gradually harder to pull. You can tell these tubes 1842's zip 3/8" steel faster than my looped Kent #303's ------ to use baseball vernacular, these tubes "can bring it".

These 1842 tubes are a bit stiffer and really want to come back to rest, a very nice snappy tube. One thing I noticed was they have a slightly different look to me, I can see through the amber on the wall and see clearly the ID running inside. On another note, these tubes I would use for hunting primarily as they are tough little suckers, and although the pull weight is not like looped 1/16" x 1/16" x 3/16", they have some resistance when you pull them back. For me, at 71 years young, shooting 20-30 shots in 15 minutes or so is a bit of a workout, for me this is more of a hunting type looped configuration.

It's 8:50 now and it is already getting hot as heck so I'm out a here till later :)

Side Bar:

When I got home I checked with some 1745 I had just to be sure these were 1842's, and they were.

This afternoon around 12ish I bought a cheap shovel and cleaned off the weeds and stuff of my shooting area a bit and shot using 1/4" od single tubes and 3/8"steel, things were looking good, fairly easy to pull back, yet enough poop for feral Pigeons/Starlings at the 25 yard range. I then changed to my pre cut SimpleShot flats that are on another Chinese eye attachment sling and they were slinging them also. After all the shooting I have done today, the "NEW FORMULA"1842's looks like a winner in the speed area but are a bit stiff to pull back as I mentioned. You can't have something for nothing !

After playing around with the 3/8" ammo I took my BB shooter and shot from inside the old building where the sun was not pounding on my head. Man alive those little BB's really fly fast. after a while I get out of there and hop back in the car for a bit.

I step outside to shoot a few more but it's over 85deg and the sun is bright, and the rubber is performing well as expected in the heat ------- On the other hand the shooter is about to pass out because of the heat :)

Later !

wll

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.