Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hey everyone,

A few days ago I made another slingshot frame. She's not the prettiest but she'll work. I made this one similar to other ones i have made, except it has a narrower fork (1.5 cm narrower). This means that the fork gap is 4.5 cm, and the outside fork distance is roughly 10.5 cm. I made my own template and traced it out onto marine plywood, and then but it out with a jigsaw, and finished its shaping with rasps and files. The gave it a light sand and gave it a clear coat. Once that dried i wrapped some camo grip tape around the handle.

Just wanted to see the feedback, positive or negative, its all helpful. Also any tips for working with plywood, as its perpendicular grain stack, makes it hard to work with, without chipping. My profile picture is my older, wider slingshot.

Thanks to everyone in advance. Seb.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
If it shoots the way you want it t, that is all that matters.

I have butchered about a dozen different pieces of plywood - trying to get a shootable slingshot. I spent hours on my last effort, a Moorhammer, only to get 4 frame hits in a row when I tested it. A very expensive (based on the time devoted) piece of kindling.

Thus far, I have learned to cut as close to the line a possible, thus avoiding extra sanding. In addition to a dremel tool, I have a drum sander attachment for my hand drill that I use for rough shaping. I have also learned to stay away from rasps. Since it is plywood, outdoor wood putty is your friend. I back my sandpaper with duct tape - as mentioned in Mojave Mo's thread.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Rasps can be used effectively on birch plywood without laminate chipping by starting rasping at an angle that is almost parallel to the main frontal surface edges of the board cut frame (see image attached), and progressively closing that relative angle as you proceed to rasping the edge perpendicular to the frontal surface.

This is how chipping off surface laminates of plywood can be prevented, or at least minimized as far as possible when using a rasp or a file.

Pointed tips, such as the fork tips, are best processed with a file or 100 grit sandpaper to avoid laminate chipping.

This is how I've processed my board cut slingshots manually after cutting the template shape with a jigsaw and using a spade drill for the pinkie & finger holes in the grip section.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks great to me! You should also start workin on some natural forks too, really fun to see what unique frame shapes come out of em! Happy shooting!
yeah i have already made a "nice" natural fork, but i do prefer making them out of plywood. But i agree that you can get very nice natural forks and they can be very fun to look for and make.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts