Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Mojave Mo
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Norseman used his keen sling-eye to nab this little Juniper fork from his Grandpa's Ranch in Oklahoma (USA). I scored a premium trade with The Norseman and found this little surprise waiting for me last week.

I went to work right away giving it some Mojave love.

I used some nasty old brown wood stain on it, then rubbed it all off. I wanted it to look like a Japanese kid whittled it out of the ship he sailed across the Pacific on around 1900.

That kid was lucky enough to find a wad of red paracord, some died cotton string, and some kevlar kite string and a little piece of his own shotgun stock that he used for a lanyard peg that he stashed on the ship during a time traveling trip to the year 2018.

Once he weaved the wrap to the fork he swiped a candle from the ships mess to give the wrap a wax coating for grip. He also figured if he needed a torch or fire starter then he would sacrifice his tool if so.

If I am going to step up to the line for a World Champion Sling Dual then I am showing up with State of the Art sling gear. If I am working on my ZAA meditation with a Shin-ken sling then I must live and breath in the moment.....so that I may become the moment!

Just Shoot It!
Mojave Mo
0167be042b5ee330225f9b0aeee54842.jpg
60327e6292ee1af2fdd5aafe8c2bb39e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
The Norseman used his keen sling-eye to nab this little Juniper fork from his Grandpa's Ranch in Oklahoma (USA). I scored a premium trade with The Norseman and found this little surprise waiting for me last week.

I used some nasty old brown wood stain on it, then rubbed it all off. I wanted it to look like a Japanese kid whittled it out of the ship he sailed across the Pacific on around 1900.

That kid was lucky enough to find a wad of red paracord, some died cotton string, and some kevlar kite string and a little piece of his own shotgun stock that he used for a lanyard peg that he stashed on the ship during a time traveling trip to the year 2018.

Once he weaved the wrap to the fork he swiped a candle from the ships mess to give the wrap a wax coating for grip. He also figured if he needed a torch or fire starter then he would sacrifice his tool if so.

If I am going to step up to the line for a World Champion Sling Dual then I am showing up with State of the Art sling gear. If I am working on my ZAA meditation with a Shin-ken sling then I must live and breath in the moment.....so that I may become the moment!

Just Shoot It!
Mojave Mo

B. Raja is 101% correct... ZAA in action! M. Mojave love is cool.
I dig it!

Also I did use ZAA today and it was awesome.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts

Just Shoot It!
Mojave Mo

speechless,that is the most awesome wrap I have seen in ages,literally,the fork is beautiful as well,amazing work Mo!

·
Mojave Mo
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Just Shoot It!
Mojave Mo

speechless,that is the most awesome wrap I have seen in ages,literally,the fork is beautiful as well,amazing work Mo!
Thanks Skarrd! I actually saw it when I was looking at the knife you made me. I was trying to figure out what kind of stuff would have been easy to get around 1900.

·
Mojave Mo
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dang Mo, you are whippin out new slings almost everyday! Awesome work! I too enjoy the history you incorporate into your slings!
Ha! It looks like that! I actually fiddle a little at a time. Then when the wife goes on a business trip and I am not washing dishes every 4 hours then I go slingnuts, stay up late, and finish em' up!

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
985 Posts
I love that wrap! Definitely a cool look, and I like the backstories you make for your pieces. I'm gonna have to get out in the shop and fabricate something myself! It gets hard romanticizing a wire frame SS. Also, I don't know if I missed it somewhere, but what is ZAA? I checked the abbreviations pin in the newbie section, but didn't see anything. Zen Ammo Alignment? Zombie Attack Ammo?

·
Mojave Mo
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I love that wrap! Definitely a cool look, and I like the backstories you make for your pieces. I'm gonna have to get out in the shop and fabricate something myself! It gets hard romanticizing a wire frame SS. Also, I don't know if I missed it somewhere, but what is ZAA? I checked the abbreviations pin in the newbie section, but didn't see anything. Zen Ammo Alignment? Zombie Attack Ammo?
Thanks Mikey! I've been looking at it, holding it as I am going to band it in about an hour and air it out! I was thinking that a clay bead and a little bone and we could channel our Native American roots!
M.J. is pioneering a shooting philosophy that follows a Zen in the Art of Archery which he has studied, a book by Eugene Herrigel. Shin-ken is a Japanese word that my Dad used that translates into 'real sword' = equals move with conviction= have purpose= quit jerking around and do your homework!
I shoot three ways. At targets for the excitement, at stuff in the desert while wandering (stump shooting?), and now this.
M.J. is our Sensei and has started a dojo on another thread that is filed in the Slingshot Shooting thread...(am I correct?). I am not sure if he has formerly titled his concept as it relates to our sling, but he is doing the ZAA translations currently.
At this moment I am using a 'hit the target and stop' idea with whatever sling I choose. On my last outing I took about 18 minutes, three shots, to hit my target, and I packed it up. I also want to try a version of that same idea at 10ft distance and blindfolded. The target will ring, and the backstop a heavy moving blanket. I am thinking about audible feedback. A perfect shot would be without sound until the target is hit. A bad shot usually sounds....bad?
Dunno. That is my thinking outside The Dojo. M.J. is putting together the disciplines we can study for fun, our partners amusements, and to become more confident and aware of our inner sling.
I whipped up a couple of Shin-ken shooters in part because I have an overactive imagination which unveiled on my very own bench the pieces I needed to make it happen. However M.J. has a Shin-ken TT shooter pounded out of 3/8" Ancient Steel by the GG Grandson of an adopted Hatori brother who fell out after his cousin dropped a blade on grandad's big toe....or something like that. I dig that sling. Mine look almost like your sister would wanna shoot it!
Peace!! MM

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
You're the man, Mo! :lol:
I've always wanted to have imagination. It seems like fun. You have it and it is serving you well.
I am no sensei. I am very much a student in a school with no teachers. I think what we're doing is helpful, and if not it's at least interesting.
I'm enjoying the journey, I'm glad you are, too.

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
985 Posts
Thanks Mikey! I've been looking at it, holding it as I am going to band it in about an hour and air it out! I was thinking that a clay bead and a little bone and we could channel our Native American roots!
M.J. is pioneering a shooting philosophy that follows a Zen in the Art of Archery which he has studied, a book by Eugene Herrigel. Shin-ken is a Japanese word that my Dad used that translates into 'real sword' = equals move with conviction= have purpose= quit jerking around and do your homework!
I shoot three ways. At targets for the excitement, at stuff in the desert while wandering (stump shooting?), and now this.
M.J. is our Sensei and has started a dojo on another thread that is filed in the Slingshot Shooting thread...(am I correct?). I am not sure if he has formerly titled his concept as it relates to our sling, but he is doing the ZAA translations currently.
At this moment I am using a 'hit the target and stop' idea with whatever sling I choose. On my last outing I took about 18 minutes, three shots, to hit my target, and I packed it up. I also want to try a version of that same idea at 10ft distance and blindfolded. The target will ring, and the backstop a heavy moving blanket. I am thinking about audible feedback. A perfect shot would be without sound until the target is hit. A bad shot usually sounds....bad?
Dunno. That is my thinking outside The Dojo. M.J. is putting together the disciplines we can study for fun, our partners amusements, and to become more confident and aware of our inner sling.
I whipped up a couple of Shin-ken shooters in part because I have an overactive imagination which unveiled on my very own bench the pieces I needed to make it happen. However M.J. has a Shin-ken TT shooter pounded out of 3/8" Ancient Steel by the GG Grandson of an adopted Hatori brother who fell out after his cousin dropped a blade on grandad's big toe....or something like that. I dig that sling. Mine look almost like your sister would wanna shoot it!
Peace!! MM

Hahaha, thanks! I've heard of the book, but didn't catch the hint on the abbreviation. I've been following M.J.'s post with great interest. I had a book on Zen archery that I picked up, mistakenly thinking it was ZAA. It wasn't, but was still a good read. I used to have a real interest in archery, but urban living limits the amount of chances you can sling arrows around. Slingshots are much more neighborhood friendly! If you go with the blindfold, I could see that being the basis for a great series of kung fu movies, a' la Zatoichi, starring a blind slingshot wielder who uses 3/8 steel to right wrongs and avenge ravaged noblewomen.

·
Mojave Mo
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Peace!! MM

Hahaha, thanks! I've heard of the book, but didn't catch the hint on the abbreviation. I've been following M.J.'s post with great interest. I had a book on Zen archery that I picked up, mistakenly thinking it was ZAA. It wasn't, but was still a good read. I used to have a real interest in archery, but urban living limits the amount of chances you can sling arrows around. Slingshots are much more neighborhood friendly! If you go with the blindfold, I could see that being the basis for a great series of kung fu movies, a' la Zatoichi, starring a blind slingshot wielder who uses 3/8 steel to right wrongs and avenge ravaged noblewomen.
Yup. Now we are trackin'.

·
Mojave Mo
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You're the man, Mo!
I've always wanted to have imagination. It seems like fun. You have it and it is serving you well.
I am no sensei. I am very much a student in a school with no teachers. I think what we're doing is helpful, and if not it's at least interesting.
I'm enjoying the journey, I'm glad you are, too.
Then you can't image the time I have squandered imagining ways to save time.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.