Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I get into this I want to thanks Bill Hayes for permission to post this. I bet you all are wondering what I am talking about.
Anyway, I bought a shrike from BH a few weeks back and as some of you might have read I was having a difficult time with hitting forks and eventually broke it. I was very bummed. Anyway I made a SS modeled from the shrike design. Mine is not as pretty so it might as well call it the "shrek"! Ha! I had emailed Bill to see if he minded if I posted it because it was modeled from one of his designs. He did not mind. Thanks, again Bill. The brown one Is my first run. I forget what wood that is but all that is on it is laquer. I set it up with double tubes and love this shooter! I then made one for my son. He holds in his right hand (oak SS). Finished it with linseed oil and laquer. Then I got a little carried away (bought a new bandsaw) and really tried to personalize one. Just wanted to show you all. Wood Fawn Tool Pet supply Hardwood Wood Creative arts Wood stain Art Hardwood Wood Vehicle Automotive exterior Floor Flooring

Attachments

·
Wow! Yew make a nice bow.
280 Posts
They look excellent! Very nice finishes and personal touches. I hate to say this though, but I hear it's not so good to have the grain running horizontal.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
They look excellent! Very nice finishes and personal touches. I hate to say this though, but I hear it's not so good to have the grain running horizontal.

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
Just learned a ton! Thanks guys. Next one grain runs vertical! Ha!
you did the wood justice! good guy that bill! also? would you like to keep #3? if you do? pin the forks, especially with the band slots cut vertical in the horizontal grain. a beauty, i would hate to see you lose it ti grain failure.

oops! i just noticed lol they are all horizontal?????????

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just learned a ton! Thanks guys. Next one grain runs vertical! Ha!
you did the wood justice! good guy that bill! also? would you like to keep #3? if you do? pin the forks, especially with the band slots cut vertical in the horizontal grain. a beauty, i would hate to see you lose it ti grain failure.

oops! i just noticed lol they are all horizontal?????????
[/quote]I just cut one with vertical grain like the 3rd one. Newconvert what did you mean by pin the forks? I really like the first one and want it to last.

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
Wood Red Bicycle part Human leg Sports equipment
my first was also horizontal so since the forks were different that yours i pinned in what could be weak points, it involves drilling holes directly down through the weak points just a bit larger than the metal you will use inject some glue before you insert the pin(brass, ss, alum) lube the pin w/glue and insert the pin all the way in. i like mine just a hair big to be able to sand to smooth, its decorative that way., in your case each fork has possibly 2 weak points, either side of the band slot, a drop or fork hit will destroy either side.

Attachments

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
can I really get a pin in on either side of the band slot? THey would have to be small. Waht do you use as pins and where can I buy it?

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
can I really get a pin in on either side of the band slot? THey would have to be small. Waht do you use as pins and where can I buy it?
well i think you can envision the result of a good fork hit. you can get the smaller stock from home depot, ace.......... just ask for bar stock they will know what you need, and small is all you need, looking at all 3 slings it looks like all 3 would fit an 1/8 pin. heck you could even use coat hanger, once you sand it it will be silver.

·
HOBBYIST-SOPHOMORIC-JACKA$$
8,259 Posts
for pins you could use nails also .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts